OT - model T era license toppers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - model T era license toppers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 09:42 am:

Curious if anyone has an interesting vintage license topper on their model T. Living in New York state I've been looking for an Al Smith for President plate to put on my runabout. Smith was governor of NY four times. He ran in 1924 for the democratic primary and lost. He ran again and won the democratic nomination in 1928 ... but lost the election to Hoover. I like the fact that it would have people scratching their heads when they see it. :-)

smith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 09:49 am:

Speaking of Al Smith. Here's a shot of our 15 roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 09:52 am:

Al Smith was an early politician that stirred the emotions of some citizens. For certain, he had a mythical role in construction of the Hudson Tunnel. Long before the Channel Tunnel, Smith was said to be building a trans-Atlantic Tunnel to Rome. The Vatican.

Good Find.

https://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/10/when-a-catholic-terrified-the -heartland/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 10:08 am:

I recently added this Al Smith plate on a accessory radiator neck license plate bracket to join the one on the radiator grill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 11:37 am:

Looks like you have one too many Jay! Interested in sending one back to NY to a deserving T driver?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 11:49 am:

Mark, a year ago I bought one on Art Morans estate auction, but it went to a friend of mine by the name of Al Smith.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 11:52 am:

Mark there is one on Ebay right now.

Item number 202187934093

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 12:45 pm:

Yup, saw that one .... thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 12:52 pm:

Mark, Keep looking they come up from time to time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 01:10 pm:

Yup, saw that one .... thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 02:48 pm:

I wonder how common brass Ts were by 1928 ? It would be interesting to know what the average using life of a car was in those days when things changed so rapidly. Imagine how out of date in every respect most (all ?) '03 models were by 1915.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 02:59 pm:

Yeah ... that's why Jay should sell one of his Al Smith plates to me since my T is from 1923 ... just the right date. He needs a Wilson. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 04:55 pm:

But Mark, They don't have a annual dinner at the Waldorf for Wilson like they do for Al Smith!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 05:23 pm:

Well Jay I guess you could hold an annual hot dog cook out and call it "Wieners for Wilson" charge a fee and make money to buy more Model T stuff! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

Ha ... I rest my case. Iím more likely to be in NYC for an Al Smith dinner than you Jay. ;-) An hour flight from Rochester on Jet Blue. A twenty hour trip by model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 08:53 pm:

Hey Mark, The kids today will think those are vanity plates and calling you Al.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:36 am:

Just to show you these plates are out there if your patient enough to wait.

This one will get mounted below the rear license plate to go along with the other two. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration