Coil box rebuild question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Coil box rebuild question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 02:48 pm:

I am rebuilding my 1927 coil box. The original wood has only one bottom terminal. I would assume that is correct compared to the earlier styles with a separate mag and battery terminals with two in total?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 02:58 pm:

It is correct. I'm doing one for a 26. Let me know how you were able to get the small thin brace out of the center. They say you can just bend the tab and pull it out. But how do you get it back in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 03:03 pm:

Funny story... mine is missing the center brace! So sorry, I cannot help you with that. If you search on google or around the forum I know there is a post about that brace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 03:11 pm:

If you're not aware of it, consider using John Regan's coil box rebuild kit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 04:28 pm:

The Regan kit is the way to go...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 04:55 pm:

I bowed the brace a bit then put it back in the box on my coil box rebuild. Carefully straighten it out and you can't tell any difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 09:22 pm:

Oops, thought I mentioned, I was replacing the original wood! It was warped and rotted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 05:42 pm:

The Regan kit is great. I rebuilt the box on my 14 with his kit. Very easy to do following his instructions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 06:04 pm:

Whichever way you go be sure you replace ALl of the hardware. The terminal bolts eventually start to slightly corrod or rust and lose conductivity.
The contact bronze strips are usually OK. These are parts that are better than the repos. Use those again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 08:01 pm:

Done done and done! :-)

Got some new bolts and nuts from Langs, the originals were rusty and corroded and I was missing more than half. The terminals were in generally good shape but one was missing so I just replaced them all so they look the same (but kept the old ones). Wood again, is replaced. New lid and gasket.

Painted the coil box with rustoleum. Brushed it to give it an older worn look. Think it came out pretty nice. Of course forgot to take photos of it all together but have a photo of it drying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 08:01 pm:

Wow that's a gigantic photo... sorry guys.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration