Starter grinding

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Starter grinding
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent bassani Califon, NJ on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 04:00 pm:

My electric starter is down. When I step on the button all I get is a grinding sound like the motor is turning but it's not engaging. Any ideas ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 04:23 pm:

Better pull the bendix cover off and have a look-see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 04:59 pm:

That happens to me often. Sometimes a sheared bolt. Or broken spring. Or the weight comes off the gear and I have to weld it back on again. That doesn't affect the hardness of the teeth (on my car at least) as they've been welded up and ground/filed to the shape of teeth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 05:19 pm:

Or a missing key in the starter shaft keyway. Without the key, all of the starter torque will be taken by the aft spring bolt, which will quickly shear.

Be sure to check the fit of the key in both the shaft and the Bendix drive head before installation. It is hard to see the key when installing the Bendix, and easy for the key to get pushed out of its keyway when sliding the Bendix onto the shaft. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent bassani Califon, NJ on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 06:51 pm:

thanks guys, i'll let you know what i find

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent bassani Califon, NJ on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:52 pm:

you guys were right...spring broke. so while i'm under the car i find this cap nut but i can't find where it goescap nut

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

Nut that holds the steering wheel onto the shaft.
Re-install and tighten before driving car. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 04:05 pm:

Excellent advice Ron, as always. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent bassani Califon, NJ on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 04:16 pm:

didn't even notice it fell off. i searched the underside of my car trying to find where it came from

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent bassani Califon, NJ on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 04:17 pm:

anyway, back to the starter, how much end play should the shaft that the spring goes on have ?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration