I-timer thoughts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: I-timer thoughts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 11:57 am:

Nice Article in the Times about the I-timer.

Looks like a great product. I would sure like to try one, but in the back of the same Times they want $399.95 for one. For that cash I could buy 6 brand new ANCOs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 12:03 pm:

Here we go AGAIN!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 12:07 pm:

Fred, what kind of oil should I use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 12:41 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 12:53 pm:

John, The Ideal Timer or iTimer has some benefits. If you put "Ideal Timer MTFCA" into Google you will come up with several threads to read and form an opinion. You must weigh benefits vs price as they are pricey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 12:54 pm:

Never mind guys....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:16 pm:

John:

Since you were appalled with the price, what was your purpose in posting your disgust ???????? Thank you R.E. Helgesen for your level headed post.

Everything has a purpose and value.... if it doesn't fit your way of acceptance, nobody is forcing you to purchase no matter what price.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:51 pm:

Mr Jablonski. Just chill out, I wasn't looking for anything more than some discussion from others on their views of cost versus benefit in regards to an interesting innovation in the I-timer. Depending on what others thought, it may be an investment I would like to make.

I regret even asking

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 04:11 pm:

Yes, the i-timer is a gate way part. First changing the timer, then comes a water pump, later OHVs. Before you know it, what started out as a nice brass era touring is shuddering down the highway as a darn Speedster. Oh the humanity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 04:12 pm:

John,

I haven't used one and probably won't, however, those that have used them seem to praise them highly. I believe they offer constant timing adjustment over the entire operating range of the T engine. Something no other timer can claim. This makes for a very smooth running T, according the folks who use them. Might be a more expensive option, but I haven't heard anyone who spent the money say that they regret it. Don't be discouraged by extreme views, pro or con.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 06:09 pm:

I would love to get one. Its hidden from view and no one would even know its there. But the cost is to prohibitive for most Model T owners. If Mike could lower the cost I think he could sell more. Maybe take a short lesson from Henry Ford. Provide a affordable product to the masses and you will sell many. The profit would be made on the mass quantity. Don't pay any mind to Bob, He tends to think no one has a right to question his friends product. I use the TW carbon brush timer. Iv used it for about 5 years now. Seems to work good for me. I think the only catch with the TW carbon brush timer is there can be no leaking oil coming from the cam. I solved that problem by using a modern seal and coating the seal with RTV black. I take mine apart a couple of times a year just to clean it but other than that it has served me well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 07:01 pm:

I have used the I- timer for over 1,000 mile.
If you want the experience of driving a T without messy timer preventive maintenance the I-timer is the way to go. You must maintain your coil adjustments for top performance. I think the
I-timer will outlast 6 mechanical timers. If you drive that much Maintenance time will pay for the timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 07:14 pm:

Are we letting the E be replaced by an I for much longer in this thread.....?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 07:18 pm:

Dave,
The E and the I are 2 different designs of Mikes,
the I will run off the magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 07:19 pm:

E-timer & I-timer are two different products

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

Have about 800 miles now on the new Ideal 'I' Timer. Got a first beta unit at Hershey last Oct.

Was rather interested because it runs off the magneto, like an ordinary timer. But no wear components as nothing touches the rotor. Replaced the trusty flapper timer, results so far is really something, won't consider removing that I-Timer.

The stealth I-Timer, even Henry would be tricked. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 10:07 pm:

Neat....I'll be looking into this once my engine is gone through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 10:10 pm:

Dean Yoder....are you running 6 or 12V with your I-Timer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 12:07 am:

I run on Mag after starting. Can start on 6 or 12v I run dual voltage on my travel T,s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Gagel, Orange,Ct on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 05:12 am:

John, I have the I timer in my '14 and love it. I will be putting an I timer in my other "14 when I put the new engine back in. If you are going on the MTFCI tour, I would love to give you a ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 08:04 am:

Charlie, I'd love to take you up on the offer. Other than going to the OCF and the Gilmore classic (as long as it's dry as all I have is an open trailer), the most I do is drive the back roads of Kalamazoo County

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Gagel, Orange,Ct on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 09:22 am:

Planning on going to OCF this year.
A great place where you drive it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 08:27 pm:

No need for any controversy on this thread. Any folk who are interested in this product can get some informed opinions and advice. Other who are not interested can go and seek info on roller or brush timers in another thread.
I have been fortunate to have been able to test an I Timer on my 1916 Touring over the Australian Summer Touring season. At this point I have logged close to 1000 reliable maintenance free miles and cannot speak more highly od the the "I" timer at this point. So far I have not removed,inspected or touched the timer in any way.
I had the pleasure also of testing the original "E" timer and found it to be a great product but I missed having my T run on magneto and the full original function of well tuned coils. It is testament to Mikes skills and perseverance that I believe he has come up with an ideal maintenance free timer with accurate and reliable ignition timing. Your coils do need to be set up correctly but there is plenty of information and product around to do this correctly. So far I love it and firmly believe my timer maintenance issues are gone forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 09:03 pm:

Dean...I don’t want to hijack this thread, but what do you mean by “dual voltage”?

Also...I think it was your T pickup with camper that I spent 20 minutes looking at in the Chickasha parking lot last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 10:34 pm:

Don, My travel T's have 6 & 12v batteries. Also a working magneto. Stock coils work better on 12v if your mag fails.

Plans for 2018 Chickasha +++ Will be running
I-timer.t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 08:32 am:

Yep....that's the one I was looking at. What a great little buggy. I love it.

I'll be at Chickasha again this year, and would love to see how you have your batteries set up/wired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 02:21 pm:

Thanks to all the Beta testers for sharing their experience with the I-Timer with the forum; especially Dan Treance for his excellent Model T Times article detailing installation and use.

One comment on operation, the I-Timer does not do any timing adjustment. Just precise and consistent coil activation. Engine performance still largely depends on how well the coils are adjusted for equal firing time as others have indicated. The full Model T experience is completely retained.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 02:13 pm:

Dean: Your picture was taken after Hershey 2017 or before ? Looks like new tires.

Thanks for all you do...appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:32 pm:

Bob, picture was before Hershey. Same rubber &rims
at Hershey I had them mounted on demountable wire wheels.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration