Water Jacket Leak

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Water Jacket Leak
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Van Cott on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 01:16 pm:

I have a very small, "weeping type", water jacket leak from the engine block near the casting date. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to stop the leak. Should I use an additive to the water such as "radiator stop leak"? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 01:46 pm:

Try some stop leak. Aluma-Seal. Or, ignore it. Mine weeps there too, but never leaves a drop on the pavement. I leave it alone, it leaves me alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 01:50 pm:

Use a dab or two of JB weld over the leak. Or just let it alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 01:52 pm:

Is it the water jacket or head gasket ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 01:55 pm:

Mine weeps from the same spot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Morrill on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 01:59 pm:

My experience indicates radiator stop leak depends on the pressure in the radiator to push it into the leak sealing it. It seems a T with non pressurized cooling system will not get much benefit from a stop leak type additive. If you can find the leak from the inside of the block, a good cleaning might let a capable welder put a little braze on the flaw fixing it for good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 02:29 pm:

Drain the coolant, keep wiping the leak a few times each day until the surface stays dry, then clean the area with alcohol and give it a skim coat of Ultra Black. Allow a full 24 hours to cure, then refill the cooling system. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:09 pm:

Mark, have you sealed a crack with the ultra black? and did it hold up? my 26 rpu weeps at the rear of the block athead and has for several years. It gives no problems but I hate the leak. Thanks in advance..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:15 pm:

Yes. Since the T cooling system isn't pressurized, Ultra Black can work if the surface is dry and clean when you apply it and you allow it to cure completely before refilling the cooling system. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Van Cott on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 09:12 pm:

Thanks everyone for your response and advice. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 10:33 pm:

Mark thanks I drained the coolant tonight the previous owner forgot to tell why it was low on fluid of course. That's ok it's a great driving T and I will use the ultra black. Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration