How wide is a ’26-’27 Runabout?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: How wide is a ’26-’27 Runabout?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 01:31 pm:

I will be bringing home a Runabout in a week or two and I have access to an enclosed trailer that is large enough inside but the door is only 71” wide. I read on this forum that the car should be 68” wide and another forum member mentioned in 2010 that he had a 71” door that worked for his ’16.

The car is 400 miles away and I want to know before heading out. My nearest contact said that it was 6’ wide. He is not the most reliable at this sort of thing so he may be mistaken, I hope.

The owner has moved into a nursing home and is unable to measure the car, which is at her house. No one lives there now and she needs to clear it out. That is why I need your help.

Do I need to find another enclosed trailer or arrange transport? Thank you. Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

Per my notes, 67”.

Hubcaps extend approx 1” per side from fenders and running boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

Mark, if you don't have an answer by Friday night just bring this thread back to the top and I'll go out and measure my 26. I'd do it right now but I'm out of town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 07:03 pm:

I don’t think your 71” trailer will work on any Model T. My enclosed trailer is 7’ wide - that’s 84”. I’ ve transported Model T s from my ‘14 runabout to the two 1926s - a tudor and roadster. I have to slowly drive in to keep left front fender 2” from left wall so I’ll have barely enough room to exit the right side.....with a deep tummy suck in. I won’t be home until Friday to measure the ‘26 width.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 07:15 pm:

My trailer is 71" wide door, never had a problem with any T from 1910 through to 27. I don't drive anything in, only Elect/winch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 08:22 am:

George, the trailer is 7' wide but the door itself is 71". And like Frank mentioned, I will also use a winch. I appreciate your responses gentlemen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 08:47 am:

Mark,

I have a storage barn in my yard. I built it years ago and the city insisted that the door be 6 feet (72") or less to avoid it being used as a garage.

Over the years, several Model T chassis have been stored inside it. The hubcaps on the front wheels are the widest part of the T. If you turn the wheels slightly, one hubcap goes north, the other goes south and you have plenty of clearance to get the hubcaps past the door opening. Then return the steering to straight forward. My engine-less '26 Fordor spent a winter inside this barn this way.

As others stated already, it will fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 11:38 am:

Take the hub caps off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 11:23 pm:

I measured mine, hubcap to hubcap was 67 inches. The fending are 1 inch inboard of the hubcaos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 11:40 pm:

My car fit. 69" opening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

Thanks to all of you who responded, I took a chance and was able to bring home my first Model T. It fit the enclosed trailer.

The 400-mile drive home was unnerving. We drove through a big snow storm in Missouri Sunday but we made it safely. I will post better photos to my profile when the weather permits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Royster on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 06:21 pm:

Congrats Mark, it's a great hobby to see the world from the slow lane and a fun car to work on. These guys are top notch on the Forum and are more that willing to help you as you learn about your car. I strongly recommend you print out the checklist of what to do before you drive the car. It's a must. Welcome to "the sickness."

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration