How to remove steering wheel?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: How to remove steering wheel?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 02:47 pm:

A buddy is restoring a '26 coupe for his granddaughter and wants to remove the steering wheel. I've done a similar one but this seems a little different. From the pictures attached can you suggest how to remove the wheel without messing up anything? Also, the steering wheel is new to me, haven't seen one like this one. Is that a T wheel? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:06 pm:

Accessory steering lock. I think this has come up before, hopefully someone who is familiar with it can help. Do you have the key ? That could be very helpful. Good luck !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Taylor, WA on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:16 pm:

I think the answer to removing your steering wheel might be in the center of the wheel. My FATMAN steering wheel has a horn button in the center and the release is to turn it counter clockwise. The nut is under the cap. Just a guest!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:27 pm:

I haven't seen a wheel like that on any of my 26-27 cars but someone will know on here. Could be a accessory wheel!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:35 pm:

Yes, the wheel and the lock are aftermarket accessories, not Ford. We're only seeing the steering wheel from the side. Is there some sort of set screw on the back? A removable plug covering a nut in the center?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:40 pm:

My 1926 had the very same steering wheel.

The key, when turned either locks the wheel or disconnects it from the steering shaft.

I have been able to pick the lock, but I have not found a key blank to make a new key for it.

I have not determined a way to remove the lock without destroying it either.

I have also never seen an ad for that particular accessory device.

The lock area has a 3 digit number up top and CD down below.

CD might be a clue as to who made the lock.

The whole assembly does screw off and can be replaced with an original cover and steering wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 04:34 pm:

Thanks for the answers so far. I think I had a lock like this on another T and, your right, I had to destroy the lock to get it off. But in my case the steering wheel was a stock Model T steering wheel and came off easily when I removed the nut on the top. If he can get this wheel off I think I could help him remove the lock if he wants too. The big problem in this case is figuring out how to remove the steering wheel. I'll pass this along to Larry. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 06:14 pm:

The accessory lock wheels show up from time to time. Surely there was some type of instruction sheet that came with the wheels when they were installed. Evidently not many if any survived over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 08:33 pm:

The key locking part under the wheel looks like the Decker brand. There should be a metal tag on the face with that name. That version is held with pins that have to be removed.

Like Art posted, the steering wheel center cap may have to come off somehow to remove the wheel.

While not the Perry type wheel in this adv, under that center cover is where the nut might be found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 10:57 pm:

That would have been a great accessory. Cool wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanne on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 11:52 pm:

I don't think that's a cover - I wonder if part of the security was having the wheel and shaft as one piece, removing the exposed nut which would allow you to circumvent or remove the lock?

My bootstrap guess is the secret is likely in the key - someone mentioned turning the key one way to remove the wheel. My guess is it may have some ratchet gig to hold the shaft/wheel in place, and the key pulls that back to remove it. turning the other way would lock or disengage the wheel.

Once you use the key to get the wheel/shaft off the castle nut (like the Decker) would continue your disassembly.

These are like puzzles, and they're all different and fun to figure out and get working again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 10:23 am:

A friend has one of those Perry #9 Deluxe steering wheels.

I saw it yesterday and can get a photo tomorrow.

The metal is aluminum and would probably shine up nice.

The wood has all good glue joints, so it might be worth refinishing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 11:03 am:

John, you steering wheel is just like my friends and my lock is just like yours in the photo.

I do believe we both got those parts at the same auction, but I bought the whole 1926 steering column with no steering wheel installed.

I have always had an interest in locks and I was a certified locksmith for about 20 years, so I still pick a few locks and make a few keys.

Today, I could not pick that lock, but I did a year or so ago.

I cleaned the assembly looking for any pins. etc. and found none, so I cleaned the grease out of the bottom and found a screw on each side and a ring that looks like a thin piston ring holding a plate in place, along with those two screws.

There is a hole on each edge that appear to lock the assemble to have access on the left or right side.

There is a hole farther in that may have been to add some oil and another smaller hole that may have just been a vent.

I cleaned all the heavy grease out and put the assembly in my ultrasonic cleaner to finish the clean up.

Later today I will dry it and try removing those two flat screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 11:07 am:

One more detail, the shaft goes all the way through and has threads on top for a nut that must be hiding under the cap in the steering wheel.

That shaft must just have a flat spot to engage the lock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 05:50 pm:

I was able to totally disassemble my unit without breaking anything.

When two short screws are removed the bottom plate can be removed.

That allows the shaft to be removed.

The shaft has a large C shaped washer just above the gears that I left in place.

A small set screw can then be removed and the lock assembly will then screw out.

There is a pin across the inside end of the lock assembly that holds the cylinder in the lock case.

I have not removed that yet, but then it would be easy to make a key, if I did remove the pin.

My camera does not have a closeup lens, but here are all the pieces.

Cap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

I was able to totally disassemble my unit without breaking anything.

When two short screws are removed the bottom plate can be removed.

That allows the shaft to be removed.

The shaft has a large C shaped washer just above the gears that I left in place.

A small set screw can then be removed and the lock assembly will then screw out.

There is a pin across the inside end of the lock assembly that holds the cylinder in the lock case.

I have not removed that yet, but then it would be easy to make a key, if I did remove the pin.

My camera does not have a closeup lens, but here are all the pieces.

Cap

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration