Bend throttle linkage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Bend throttle linkage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:13 pm:

Whats the best way to bend a carb linkage rod. Should it be heated? My old on snapped and the other used one needs a bend at the carb. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:29 pm:

I bend mine cold with a vise and a BFH. No problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:35 pm:

Yeah ... I use a vice and a heavy lead hammer. Lot's of bending and trying ... bending and trying. I did find that if I threaded at least one end of the rod I could install a ball and socket swivel that gave me a fine tuning adjustment. Did the same with the timer link rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 04:43 pm:

Take a wire coat hanger and straighten it out to use as a pattern. It is much easier to bend and re-bend the hanger wire. Once you have the shape you want remove the hanger wire take it to the vise where your rod is and follow the curves of the hanger, After the rod is bent it only requires a small adjustment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 09:07 pm:

I used a 1/4 inch tubing bender. Small enough to work around the engine and did not leave marks on the rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 09:22 pm:

These tools really help to adjust the control rods and are available from most T vendors. They work great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

Thanks for the ideas.I am going to look at Langs and see if they have the tools. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 10:27 pm:

Steve, I am going with the bfh and vise Saturday. Thanks I was worried it would break if I tried to bend it cold but I have a vise and hammer and I am going to use the coat hanger template so I can get it close quicker.Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 08:00 am:

those benders are real easy to make. philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 10:59 am:

I`ve always found it best to just buy the control rods from a vendor---They are bent correctly leaving the only adjustment at the bend over the timer. less hassel then trying to rebend old rods which have been twisted and bent over the years! Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 11:08 am:

But Paul, If you buy them from the vendor's you miss all the fun of cussing, swearing and bonding with your car. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration