13/32 push-rod (tappet) bore

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 13/32 push-rod (tappet) bore
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 04:28 pm:

When did Ford use 13/32 bores on the tappet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 06:07 pm:

I don't find any evidence that the push rod ever went or had smaller than, 7/16" (14/32") + option of 1/64" OS. in parts books.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 06:36 pm:

Frank, they made 'em. I've run into a couple of blocks with them in my travels. The one I'm working on right now is a 1918. The holes are 13/32" and have never been sleeved or modified as far as we can tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 06:46 pm:

I've seen cases where the tappet boss itself was replaced with a separate boss kinda like a replaceable valve guide, but not a smaller lifter. And this appeared to be a factory replacement.

All the same eh? Not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 06:50 pm:

Tom, may be a mystery never to be solved ??, checked several parts books in your time frame, late 17 though 18 and early 19, no change from 7/16"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 01:34 am:

I worked on two different blocks just in the last year that I had to ream to standard. They are out there. I would imagine that factory issues occasionally produced undersize tappets and they just used them up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 01:50 am:

You would think it would play havoc on the production line, the blocks are drilled for some 40+ holes at once. To stop and set up a run for a few blocks for undersize tappets doesn't sound like Henry's style, but seeing that a few are out there, anything to save a dollar, well that's Henry's style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 11:20 am:

There were all sorts of non-standard mechanical parts, repairs, and fixes. I have heard of people doing research at the Benson Ford and finding prints for various “nonstandard parts” that were made to salvage other parts that are undersize, etc.

Ford did re-work many parts and use them up.

I believe that tappet guides were broached, all eight at a time and not combined with another operation. Ford had dozens of machines for most every operation that were all the same, so occasionally setting one machine up with 8 undersize broaches to salvage 10,000 tappets likely was a good cost saving measure.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration