OEM vs. repro fenders

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OEM vs. repro fenders
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 04:31 pm:

How can you tell an original '23 - '25 rear fender from a reproduction. I just bought a pair of rear fenders off T-bay. They look like they have been sitting around a very long time but do not appear to have ever been bolted on to a car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

These fenders have an extra 1/4" hole in the flange behind the fender bracket. And also have an extra little angle brace spot welded near the bracket for the slash apron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 05:19 pm:

The reproduction fenders do not have attachment brackets on them, so if your fenders look old and have brackets on them, they are probably original fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 05:20 pm:

The fenders on my '25 Runabout do not have either of these features, but I don't know if they are original fenders either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 05:25 pm:

From the pictures here, the fender looks old and patched up, and has most likely been on a car before. Hence the little patches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 05:59 pm:

No Ray, They are not patched up. These little angle braces were put on when the fenders were made. The bolt holes at the fender iron bracket, apron bracket, and running board brackets, show no sign of ever being bolted on. Yes the paint or primer that is on them is nearly all gone, making them look worse than they are. At any rate, just trying to determine if these are Ford or repro fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

Darryl

The last photo with that little spot welded plate is odd. And seems to me, at least at the photo angle that the fender mold beads are missing, and the folded over outer edges are large folds, originals are thin edge fold.

Original Ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 10:28 pm:

I have my doubts about this never being used before. Are you sure these aren't rust pits?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 10:42 pm:

Steve, these fenders are rusty, though there is little pitting. The area you circled that is not rust pitted. What leads me to believe these have not been bolted on a car is the bolt holes themselves. When you bolt sheet metal parts together, the fasteners always leave a mark. There is no distortion around any of the holes. But no matter, what I am really trying to find out is if these are Ford or aftermarket. I have two cars I think have original fenders on, and I have a car with Rootlieb fenders. And these don't look like any of those. Were there companies making replacement fenders back in the day?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 10:50 pm:

Dan, that was something I didn't look for on my cars. I will look at the rolled edges tomorrow. I posted these photos to show the extra bracket and hole in the fender lip. I thought this might spark some ones memory as to the manufacturer of these. Where ever they came from they are a matched pair, right & left. Both with the extra hole and the little corner brace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 11:24 pm:

There were companies that made parts for Ford cars during and after the cars were actually made. They were 'will fit" parts and were available at non-Ford part stores. Perhaps these are something from that type of aftermarket store?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 12:10 am:

Several years ago, I bought about 1,000 patch panels and whole fenders for cars from the late 30's through the late 50's, out of an old warehouse.

They were all made in the USA in the 40's and 50's by an aftermarket body panel manufacturer.

I sold about 40% of them and made my money back, then sold the remaining panels for what I initially bought them all for.

Anyway...they were extremely high quality and represented what was available back in the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 09:45 am:

Yes. Many makers of replacement sheet metal on the Ford back in the day. Some were national firms. Well known early was 'Peerless' brand, then many more.

They are all very similar to Ford, but some minor differences. Some have maker's markings.

Marked for which Ford it fits!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 09:56 am:

I will look for some sort of a manufacturers mark. It is starting to look like these may not be Ford fenders. I was hoping the two unique features on this pair of fenders would bring to light their origin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 10:10 pm:

After looking these fenders over good, I see no makers mark. Another odd thing I noticed was the holes in the fender brackets that bolt to the splash aprons have slotted holes. All the beads on the fenders are there and correct. All in all some really nice fenders that will be going on my '25 runabout. They must be a pair of old aftermarket fenders that have been hanging in a barn for years. Thanks to all for your insight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 12:29 am:

I think that angle brace is riveted on not spot welded. I would have to check for sure, but I think my front fender on the 21 have 1 or 2 holes in the flange like yours, never have figured out what and why. I do not think they are after market (mine).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:26 am:

Mark, the little angle braces are spot welded and each fender has two of them. The company that made these must have been trying to prevent cracks in their fenders. Maybe selling them as an improvement over Fords factory fenders. The 1/4" hole looks to be stamped not drilled in these fenders. Maybe it was for a fender to fender brace offered by the same company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:42 am:

Ok I see the what you are talking about. I missed it when looking on my lap top. The hole could also have been used in the painting process.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman, Kouts, IN on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:52 am:

Look at the holes where they mount to the running boards. The original fenders have a boss around the holes on the mounting lip and reproduction fenders are just flat with the two holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

Steve,These do not have the boss, but neither did the earlier ford fenders. You were to put a washer between the fender and the running board before Ford made the change to the fender. Mark, I thought that might be the use for the hole, but then thought, why wouldn't they just use the running board mount holes during the paint process.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 12:22 pm:

While the idea of a cross brace might be good, where the hole is looks like it would not work for touring or runabout bodies, the brace would have to run thru the body or trunk. If the fenders were dipped, could have used both hole and would not require as deep a tank. If the paint was sprayed on, could be same, both holes used in the process to get full coverage. I know in the Model A painting process there were strange holes in some parts. They were there for hanging the pieces to paint them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration