Ford wrench

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ford wrench
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 08:18 pm:

I was given a Ford script wrench with the number 9N17014. It has inch marks embossed on one side with # 3 and 6 . The friend who gave it to me said it was model T and the inch marks were to check the gas tank level. I told him that I did not think it would be safe to be putting a steel wrench into a gas tank because it could spark. Is this a tractor wrench? What would be so important to measure, that Ford would put a ruler on the side of it? Thanks for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 08:23 pm:

Sounds like a 9N Ford tractor wrench with that part number on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Spyker on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 08:48 pm:

Probably a 9N tractor plow wrench. One came with Dad's 8N in 1948. The Ford dealer said it was to check the gas level. Which is what we did for the next 22 years. I still can hear the large wrench end CLANK against the gas tank cap opening!
Pushtruck, 30 miles south of Hershey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 08:51 pm:

Ford plow wrench. Made from 1938 thru the fifties.goes with the 9n, 2n, and 8n tractors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 09:52 pm:

Ford N series wrench for setting up your plow. They seem to be always refered to as "Gas Gauge" wrenches these days, but the hash marks are to tell you how deep your plow is cutting and the width of the furrow.
Youre right about a steel wrench against a steel tank bung- even in those pre-litigious bye-gone days that was seen as a potential sparking hazard!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration