Can Schrader 725 valve stems be used instead of 777 stems on 30 x 3.5 tires ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Can Schrader 725 valve stems be used instead of 777 stems on 30 x 3.5 tires ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 08:11 am:

The 725 stems I have are 4 inches long how do they compare to the 777 stems?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 09:04 am:

Aren't 725 stems 1/2 inch diameter also?

777 stems are 3 inches long and 3/8 inch diameter (I just measured one).

I do not have any for sale. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 10:19 am:

777 Schrader is what Ford used, but keep in mind Dill and Bridgeport made them too. I forget what the TR number is for a 777, but I like the 888 which is 1/4 shorter and is the bare minimum that will work on a T. I just put a set of four on my '13, and they do work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 10:37 am:

I just sent a question to Dill asking them if they have an old cross reference chart that they can share, we'll see if I get a response. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 10:52 am:

The short answer is yes. In fact the new tubes currently sold come with stems that are a reproduction of the 725, not the 777 used by Ford. The 725 I have on one of my wheels measures " x 3". The 777 stems are 3/8" x 3". There is also a Schrader 825 that is 3/8" x 3" that can be used. Of course whatever stem you use will require the bridge washer, nut, and dust cover to fit it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 10:53 am:

Thanks guy's, I had a fellow forum member ask me about the difference and I've only had rubber stem tubes so I was clueless to what size metal stems Ford originally used. I dug out the box of stems I've had in the garage just now. and with the help of a brass wire bush, was able to find several 777 stems using Mark's measurements.

So with all the Old Car combined knowledge here does anyone know what size wheels used the 725 stems? I've got 23 of them here that need to find some inner tube's to ride with. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 10:55 am:

THANKS STEVE I just missed your post before i posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 10:21 pm:

Last week I finally got around to unloading the seven rear axles that have been sitting on my trailer since last spring. One of them still had the remains of a wheel on it, and after they were all off I found this on the trailer.

It's a Bridgeport TR-16.

Here are the cleaned up Schrader 777 and Bridgeport TR-16 for comparison. The Schrader is about " longer. Going by what Larry said, the TR-16 is Bridgeport's version of the Schrader 888.

I should mention that if you're using the current reproduction dust covers, you want the Schrader 725 or other " stems, or adapting hardware found at swap meets to make them fit the smaller 777, 888, TR-16, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 09:31 am:

No reply from Dill yet on my request for a cross-reference chart.

Does anybody have an old valve stem cross reference chart that they could scan and post on here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 10:37 am:

I didn't find a chart but I did find a pamphlet titled "Pneumatic Tire Valve Wrinkles" written in 1918 by Schrader's which gives some details on the various valve sizes and their intended uses. This pamphlet was written for the Army & Navy so it covers more than cars.

https://books.google.com/books?id=oD0xAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge _summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

**** Warning!!! ****

The first sentence of this booklet reads:

" The contents of this booklet may not impress the reader as engrossing literature written to quicken his pulse and stimulate his emotions. "

Now there's some honesty for a booklet written about valve stems! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 10:59 am:

Neat book! I ordered a hard copy so that I can read it at my leisure. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 12:01 pm:

TR stands for the Tire and Rim Association. It is their designation for all stems. They are still in business. The TR-16 you will see on all three manufactures of brass valve stems, Bridgeport, Dill and Schrader. It would be a Schrader 888. I have the TR designation for a 777 written down somewhere, but don't feel like finding it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 12:25 pm:

Jay has a set of five 777s with all the parts including dust covers for sale in the classifieds right now. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 01:28 pm:

Thanks for the link Brian. Also thanks for the plug Mark. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration