E.M.F.???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: E.M.F.???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Horton, Utah on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 11:07 am:

I recently bought a horn that was apparently period correct for a RHD 1911 E.M.F. Someone want to give me a hint. Early Model Ford fits, but doesn’t make much sense. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 11:22 am:

Here is a photo of a 1912. I believe all EMF horns were the same double twist with a screen over the bell and a unique bell. EMF

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 11:22 am:

The E-M-F Company was an early American automobile manufacturer that produced automobiles from 1909 to 1912. The name E-M-F was gleaned from the initials of the three company founders: Barney Everitt (a custom auto-body builder from Detroit), William Metzger (formerly of Cadillac), and Walter Flanders (who had served as Henry Ford's production manager)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 11:37 am:

A thread from 2015:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/556881.html?1437532676

"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

Early Model Ford

Early Mexican Ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 12:41 pm:

And where was the EMF plant you ask? It was on Piquette Ave., right next to our famous Ford Piquette Ave. Plant.

Unfortunately, EMF/Studebaker burned to the ground maybe 10 years ago, nearly taking the Piquette Plant with it. Were it not for a Piquette volunteer, (Dale McDermott), who couldn't sleep and was watching the news at 4AM, all that would have remained of Piquette might have been a historic marker. He raced down to the plant, got on the roof, and stamped out burning embers, (while wearing sandals).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RalphS in NE Oregon on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 01:03 pm:

Other definitions of the EMF: From a friend who took several years restoring his, his buddies said it stood for Eventually May Function; He said it stood for Every Mile Faster; Others said Every Mechanics Friend. There are probably others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 02:09 pm:

I don’t fully understand Ron!s request in the initial post but wouldn’t it have to be a RHD early brass Ford that would interchange with his EMF horn? A LHD early brassy would have the horn mount on the horn’s right side and a RHD Car would have the firewall mount on the left....wouldn’t it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 02:21 pm:

When i saw EMF I immediately thought electromagnetic frequency which makes sense if it is an electric horn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

"Even Mine Functions"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 02:31 pm:

I had to look but hAd never heard of a EMF automobiles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 02:52 pm:

To add to what Steve Jelf posted above, EMF cars became affiliated with Studebaker due to Studebaker's existing dealership network, and after 1912, the cars actually became Studebakers as Studebaker eventually took over the EMF cars production,.....FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 03:02 pm:

I always learn something on here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 05:33 pm:

Jerry Van, no one asked!!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 05:59 pm:

Every Morning Fix-it. Every Mechanical Fault. Every Man's Fantasy.

Several years ago, Joe and Betty Swann spent the summer driving their 1912 E-M-F across the U.S. in both directions, with a side excursion by ferry boat to Alaska. They kept a blog which makes fascinating reading. emfauto.org/Swan_2012_EMF_Adventure.php

Floyd Jaehnert in Minnesota, well know to Alphabet Ford lovers for his Model S and the N-R-S parts he builds, has a beautifully-restored 1912 E-M-F.

A 1909 (I think) E-M-F was the pathfinder car for the Glidden tour.

I bought a 1910 E-M-F back in 1970 and sold it in 1974 to Walter Grove. Walter had an extensive brass car collection, but the E-M-F was his workhorse. His widow, Jane, tours in that car to this day. My son had an '09 for several years. The cars are quite lively, but the rear transaxle was a weak spot.

There's an active E-M-F register in HCCA. They have a week-long homecoming tour every other year. Related makes, welcome on the tour, are Northern, Wayne (both predecessors), Flanders (a Model T-size companion car), Everitt (a spinoff after the partners broke up), Tudhope (a Canadian version built under license), and pre-'16 Studebakers. The register's newsletter is called "Hyphens"; if you see how I've typed the car's name in this post, you'll know why.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 06:43 pm:

A locally owned 1910 EMF was at Pierce Park in Appleton, WI a couple of years ago. That is the 2015 thread mentioned above. Here's some more interesting information.

A very nice Horseless Carriage Club video on the subject of the EMF:
http://www.hcca.org/EDU/presents.php?1909_EMF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-M-F_Company

"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 06:53 pm:

As Paul Harvey would likely have said: "And now, for the rest of the story".....

"Bringing it forward.... After the Maxwell Briscoe Co. overextended itself buying up Flanders, Brush and a few other car companies and went into receivership, an investor named Walter Chrysler bought the remains. He hired Flanders to run the new company. They slapped the good name of Maxwell on the Flanders cars and made a go of it for about a dozen years as the company evolved into the Chrysler Corporation. It's all a really big circle."

Take Care; Behave; Stay Warm (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 07:47 pm:

Harold,

EMF had the Every Morning Fixit syndrome, from a quality control issue. Eventually, Studebaker took over and spent $1,000,000 (1912 dollars!) of their own money going out and fixing deficient EMF cars. Studebaker had a sterling reputation and wanted to keep it.!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 02:31 am:

Loved the EMF video. I enjoy hearing about other makes of cars on this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 11:01 am:

Those of you who would like to see demonstrations of other early cars might want to click on this link. Several HCCA members show off their cars. Full disclosure: I'm one of them. There's a 1906 2-cylinder Buick that I used to own.

https://www.hcca.org/EDU/presents.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 11:22 am:

Gil, really enjoyed the video of your 1906 Buick Model F. Well done!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration