A little off topic, but still Ford..........

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: A little off topic, but still Ford..........
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 12:14 pm:

An overview of the Willow Run aircraft plant, designed and manned by Ford. One Liberator every 55 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/iKlt6rNciTo?rel=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

My Dad worked at this plant during this time and had some interesting stories. He and his crew took the airplane when it left the final assembly area and taxied it across the tarmac to another hangar where they installed all the 50 cal. machine guns and the Norden bombsight. One day while they were working, he said he looked up and there stood Charles Lindbergh. Lindbergh was retained by the Army Air Corps during WWII as a consultant. Very memorable moment for my Dad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 05:31 pm:

That's very cool! Thanks!

The plant is about 45 minutes from my house.

There's a lake near the plant -- I can't remember the name -- and I wonder if that's where they dropped the dummy bombs. If so, I wonder of there are any still down there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 04:40 am:

George, a great video.

Some poetic licence is taken by the commentator however. Typical wartime enthusiasm. One Liberator per hour was the goal - but there were so many other influences that held things up. Edsel Ford was a great driver behind Willow Run but I am not sure that he lived long enough to see it achieve his ultimate 'one bomber an hour'. Sadly.

The story is recounted so well in the book 'Arsenal of Democracy' (by A J Baime) - a great read, historically accurate and a really important part of Ford's history.

Mike Garrett - I wonder if your dad knew that Charles Lindbergh was an outspoken anti-Semitic? It is a juicy story.

John Stokes
New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 07:56 am:

Henry Ford and Charles Lindbergh had several things in common:

They both achieved "folk hero" status with the American people and the world.

They both were outspoken in their antisemitism.

They both received the "Order of the Eagle" medal of honour from the Nazis.

They both opposed America's entry into a World War, Ford in the first, Lindbergh in the second, yet both men eventually threw their weight behind the effort to defeat the Axis powers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 02:40 pm:

Is this the same Headphone as they used in the B 24 to help us from the TYRANNY 1940 - 45
0352M
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craig hall on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 02:57 pm:

The plant is now a grassy field except for a small potion sold to the Yankee air force restorers group. the section where the planes are is the only part of the build left willowrun plant

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration