Am I right about this manifold?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Am I right about this manifold?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 12:18 pm:

It's straight and the threads are excellent. The depression in the center is ¼" deep. My guess is that it won't be a problem. Agree?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 12:21 pm:

I don't think it should present any real problems, but I'm curious........an original Ford part or something from a vendor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 12:23 pm:

I should have added, is the metal uniform thickness throughout? If that depression is thin, well yeah, that might be an issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 12:34 pm:

Is it actually straight? Many manifolds that are "straightened" by the popular methods, as this manifold appears to have been, are not actually straight. They are OK up and down, but not front to back, which is just as important if you expect the rings to fit correctly.

You can easily check the hole spacing with a set of calipers. The narrow holes are 2.062", inside edge to inside edge. The two sets of wide holes are 4.875" inside edge to inside edge.

If it is actually straight, it should work fine, IMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

Steve,

This one he been “straightened”. I made a jig to do that job and ended up ruining a manifold very much like this. They slump and burn through, even if you are careful.

This one looks useable, but cylinder #1 &#2 won’t breathe as well as #3 & #4!

IMHO, TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 03:27 pm:

It has been straightened by breaking it and welding back together. Should work fine as long as the weld is good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 05:41 pm:

I agree. See this video on "Engine Masters" where they show that extreme bashing of header tubes for clearance resulted in NO horsepower loss. :-O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration