What year are touring doors that open like suicide doors?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What year are touring doors that open like suicide doors?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 03:15 pm:

Took off some latches that were behind the front seat of a touring. These would have opened like suicide doors. Best I could find was maybe 1914?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 03:20 pm:

The rear doors on my 1910 open at the front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 03:24 pm:

The rear doors on my '23 Touring are hinged at the back, so I call them Suicide Doors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 05:39 pm:

The rear doors on my 1925 Touring body are hinged at the back (suicide doors).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 06:51 pm:

My '15 Touring has suicide doors in the back and I sure don't want either of them to pop open at cruising speed (Packard addressed the problem with simple hook & eye latches on the interior). -My single front-seat door has its hinges at the front edge as normal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 07:08 pm:

Rear doors of a '13 are suicide if that's any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

12 opens from the rear like the front door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 09:03 pm:

My 26 Touring has hinges in front, so that must have been the first year the hinges were in front.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 09:16 pm:

I would have to check more but seems to me that there was some touring built in the early teens that were not suicide rear door but it may have just been one of the several body builders Ford used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 09:53 pm:

My 1916 Beaudette Touring has suicide doors

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 09:23 am:

My 21 touring hinged at rear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 01:00 pm:

Forgot to add an important fact. The latches were the drop down style, not the slider style. It would have latched from above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 08:48 pm:

Marvin,

All USA produced Model T Ford tourings with the exception of the 1912 slab sided and the 1926-27 improved models had the "suicide"style rear doors hinged at the rear. (Note early 1912 tourings continued to use up the step side 1911 bodies fitted many fitted with the removable front door -- and those also had the suicide style rear doors.)

A photo of the body might help -- is it a 1914 body? Then likely 1914 door striker plate if it was not replaced. Below is a 1914 to early 1916 striker plate that used a latch that had a vertical bolt rather than the later 1916-1925 style latches. And of course a photo of the part you are asking about would help also.

Below is a photo posted previously on the forum by Robert Fordam. Is this the style you have?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 12:48 pm:

Hap, that is the striker plate that was on the backside of the front seat. The body has been taken completely apart and sandblasted for restore, I only had the front half of the touring body. The front of the body looked like it had been bolted up to a wooden firewall. Thanks!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration