1912 touring body identification

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1912 touring body identification
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Unidenscan on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 07:14 pm:

Does anyone have information on how to identify the body manufacture for a 1912 touring body. Under the front seat I found a W ###-# identification number but I have been unable to find out anything else about what these numbers mean.

Any info of web links would be helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 07:43 pm:

Wilson body ? We're told the numbers were "in house" for the body makers' purposes, no records available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

The "W" stands for The Wilson Body Company. This assumes you have a USA produced Ford and Ford Body.

For additional information on Body makers -- please see: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/A-B.htm

Also the postings at:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/40322.html -- a little later than the 1912 but good info.

Below are the tags that were tied to the car when it was produced at the factory. In this case a 1914 with an engine number entered on the Apr 14, 1914 engine log sequence (it may have been assembled later -- especially if it was assembled at a branch plant). Photos are from "The Vintage Ford" May-Jun 1971 and are used by permission to promote our hobby and our club.

Note that Wilson is the only body maker that starts with a W. Also note the earliest Wilson body number that I have a photo of is from a 1908 Ford Model S Roadster. They were also the supplier of the 1903 Ford bodies and many other years also. And you will note that the previous link http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/A-B.htm has Wilson listed numerous times.

While some of the 1914 and later body numbers have a date code normally showing the year and month we believe the body was made, the earlier body numbers do not appear to have the year stamped as part of the number. I'm still collecting data on body numbers. I hope to one day be able to either correlate the body numbers to some general time line or be able to say they for the body numbers by company X, Y, Z etc. during the time frame 19xx to 19xx the body numbers appear to be random and not much help in dating a body. If you would like to post and or send me your body number, engine number (you can xxx the last 3 digits - I don't need that level of detail), and the Car Number (stamped on the ID Patent Plate on USA produced 1909 - early 1915 Ts. Discontinued during 1915. Also the style of the body (1911 step side; 1912 slab side with the door handle on the outside of the rear door; 1912 slab side that does not have the outside rear door handles. Also where are the rear doors hinged at the front or the back. And does the car have a two piece dash or the later 1 piece dash. etc.

For a discussion of 1912 bodies, body numbers, styles, etc. please see the posting at: 1912 Body styles serial numbers car numbers body numbers body tags
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/119926.html

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 11:53 pm:

Do you have the fore-doors for your 1912 Wilson body?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration