FJ - Going to see a private collection for sale dating back to 1940's in Tucson today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: FJ - Going to see a private collection for sale dating back to 1940's in Tucson today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 09:09 am:

I am always up for good conversation.

I was changing my oil at an Autozone in Tucson yesterday & struck up a talk with Liz who works there.

She said her Dad had " a car " for sale.

About half an hour later her Dad Joe shows up - turns out he moved to Tucson in the late 1940's - did excavation & heavy equipment work - collects cars.

He wants to sell - so today I get to out & view a collection under 7500 square feet of cover - cars parked right next to each other.

Mostly 1940 - 1950 Oldsmobile cars but there is at least one Model A and possibly some Model T parts.

I will be taking pictures & video - then posting on Instagram & Facebook - will resize & post some images here.

Gonna be a good day .... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 10:11 am:

Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 10:19 am:

Thanks Jim. Sounds like quite a collection. Looking forward to your posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 10:19 am:

While visions of sugar plums dance in your head! Sounds like the beginning of a most excellent day my friend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 10:57 am:

Just got off the phone with Lana ( Joe’s Wife )

Will be there within the hour

Beautiful Day in Tucson !

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 01:03 pm:

Well,

(50) years of collecting looks like a helluva a lot of junk piled together on two acres - Joe is a nice guy but at 78 he thinks a lot of unfinished projects are still going to get done.

I can’t post images of everything here because it is a chore to resize - visit my Instagram or Facebook links to see everything

If you see anything of interest text him ( do not call ) @ 520-471-2121

I know these wheels are for sale - make him an offer

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 01:07 pm:

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 01:26 pm:

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 01:31 pm:

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 01:53 pm:

I like the Nash. How is he thinking of disposing of all that stuff???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 02:32 pm:

It's so interesting to see a "collection" like that. I mean, here's a guy who has spent years and a lot of dollars accumulating a whole lot of cars, and even spent a bundle building some covers for them. Its would appear the enterprise got out of hand, and there's no indication that any real work has been done on any of them. Meanwhile, they are deteriorating, although slower in Tucson than in a moister climate, and he still harbors a dream of "fixing up" some or all of them. It's both instructive and a bit sad, but still fun to gaze at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 02:57 pm:

Peter,

That is a kind & somewhat astute observation - I don’t think he has a large capital investment in the cars - it is more of an emotional investment - he spent (8) years in Court with the City of Tucson - the result was the awning over the vehicles which Joe built himself.

The problem now - to access any of those cars requires making a path with a large forklift like they use at Copart’s Insurance Auctions - it is customary for the Seller to make a vehicle available for curbside pick up - that is going to be cost prohibitive.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 04:07 pm:

I'm reminded of the ad I saw in Hemming's many years ago that said: "With some work it will be a good parts car."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 05:25 pm:

I always get a kick when someone like this is referred to as a collector or "saver" of cars. In reality, all these cars are quickly deteriorating and he has done nothing to preserve them. I am sure many of these cars entered the lot in better condition than they are now and by the time they leave will be practically destroyed and worthless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 05:49 pm:

Sometimes there is a fine line between collecting and hoarding. I would rather have one good car that I could drive and enjoy, than 1000 junkers in the field. (Or is that too judgmental?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 06:04 pm:

Here in Ohio we call something like that a salvage yard, junk yard, or scrap yard. That is not a car collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 06:11 pm:

More than likely had he not held on to those cars they would have been melted down and lost forever. Regardless if they are A-1 or not, at least someone MIGHT get a chance at them now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 06:40 pm:

Around Dayton they call that “ Rusty Gold “

Those cars would not have lasted more than a few years in Ohio

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 06:47 pm:

I know all too well that "place" (in the mind so to speak?). When I was about four years old, my father bought a Franklin sedan to be restored. Several years later he sold it because he needed the money. All my life, he wanted to have and restore an antique car. He never did one. When he died, he had eight cars and trucks that we had no place to keep and most had to be literally GIVEN away. His secondary hobby was collecting radios. When he died, he had more than 200 radios in his collection. A few were nice ones, totally collectible as they were. Most, needed some restoration. He began the restoration of a few (less than ten), but never completed even one. My brother (since passed away himself) spent a few years selling most of the collection. My mother still has a few pieces left. Six months before he passed away, my dad bought his last radio, a fourth one of a specific model he wanted (early '20s) that he fully intended to restore. He was still at that time expecting to restore at least half of those 200 radios.

Yeah. I know that place all too well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 07:27 pm:

Wayne,

Before we started the tour - we discussed the collection quite frankly - I was direct because that is my nature.

I told them in (10) years none of us would probably be here - but the cars would & they would be in worse condition - my advice was for Joe & Lana to pick one or two cars each they would like to see restored - then sell the rest to pay for it.

I have been to “ this place before “ all over the country many times - but Joe had approached me with a list of cars and said he was ready to sell.

I understand every Angle of this Equation.

What doesn’t Add Up for me at the end of the day
is how (50) years of collecting is wasting away under
The Desert Sun.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 07:43 pm:

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 08:49 pm:

FJ, I too, totally understand. And, like you, tend to be direct and honest to a fault. Your advice to them was spot on. But I also know that many people, including me, gave my dad that same advice many times over the years. It made me sad to see some of his cars and trucks sitting in the back and side yards of their home for so long. Califunny's "wet half the year" climate destroyed a few of them. The radios fared better. I imagine about half of them are still in other collections now. And some of his worst have probably contributed to the restoration of others.
I see some of the same here. People like that often preserve a lot of things that would have otherwise contributed only to a land-fill somewhere. I also loved and respected my father in so many ways. But I would have liked to have more memories of him doing some of the many things he was always "gonna do" later.

Thank you FJ, I always seem to enjoy your many posts and threads, strictly model T or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 09:06 pm:

What is the coupe in the first two pictures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 09:57 pm:

Jeff,

I do not know - perhaps someone can comment

This ..... is Very Cool

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 11:14 pm:

It's a Desoto

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 11:33 pm:

Years ago our local blacksmith/repairman/hardware storekeeper/hay baler had a similar collection along with a large tin cotton gin building with a massive caterpillar engine and remnants of the a steam engine. If you wanted a car , then you needed to buy all from the fence to the car you wanted. In the 20 years I knew him, I don't remember a sale. He baled hay for me and I always enjoyed doing business with him or just shooting the breeze. When you asked him how he was doing he would always say "Terrible, terrible". When you asked what his trouble was, his reply was "Taxes, taxes". I have a lot of good memories about this unique individual, Hubert Dodd, Lone Oak, TX.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 01:13 am:

Ya, they are far better preserved out west than here in MN!
There's a couple of square Oldsmobiles on the edge/fringe that look good to me and a Toronado!
Very interesting post FJ!
We'll all cry at the crappy prices, when the sale happens.
Sorry. Been there.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration