Old Photo - Who Can ? The Michelin Man Can!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - Who Can ? The Michelin Man Can!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 10:17 am:

Here's a link to a thread I posted on the modeltfordfix.com forum of period Model T Era Michelin full page magazine ads.

https://modeltfordfix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=109

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 01:44 pm:

Cool, thank you Jay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 02:30 pm:

OT Anyone know if pneumatic tires were ever used on horse draw carriages?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 02:34 pm:

Jay:

Those USA made Michelins were produced not to far from my hometown in New Jersey. My Mom worked in Milltown, NJ at a building that was once a playing card factory within sight of the then abandoned Michelin building complex. The complex burned about 1959-1960, Michelin abandoned in the mid 30's, some businesses occupied sections thru the years remaining.

Not one current Michelin offering will fit our Model T's today.... sad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 04:09 pm:

I wonder where the picture was taken. All the writing on the truck is in Spanish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 05:19 pm:

The 1928 Michelin House band for the Michelin Radio hour.

Could you imagine trying to play instruments dressed like that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 05:56 pm:

When I was a little kid, I was afraid of the Michelin Man. He still creeps me out--a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 05:59 pm:

Vern, V C,
Pneumatic tires were initially developed for safety bicycles about 1890 as I recall. They were nowhere near good enough yet to want to be used for the speeds or weights of horse drawn carriages. However, for the un-sprung weights of a safety bicycle, they offered a nice cushioning effect against the bone-jarring bumps on the roads of the day.
As both pneumatic tires and automobiles were being developed during the 1890s, it was natural for the two to wind up together. The small almost go-cart-like cars being built could also benefit from the cushioning of the tires, while trying to keep weight down for the under-powered engines being used on most cars. Early automobile development was somewhat divided, not only by "steam, gasoline, or electric", but also by the "bicycle industry based" and the "carriage industry based" experimenters. Both were seeing the emerging opportunities of automobiles as well as wanting to have a piece of that pie if their previous products went out of favor as automobiles took over. Bicycle based developers tended to use pneumatic tires early, while carriage based developers tended to use buggy and wagon type wheels even as late as 1912. As the automobile came into its own, it developed into its own style in the early 1900s, mostly leaving both of those extremes behind by 1905.

I doubt that more than a handful of horse-drawn carriages were manufactured using pneumatic tires before the automobile had largely displaced the horse (whenever one might want to argue when that was?). Of course, by the depression of the '30s, numerous rigs were put together using whatever wheels were handy to be pulled by whatever grass-powered pulling force was available. By then, even some new carriages were being made with pneumatic tires for those unwilling to drive an automobile. Sulkies may have been an early exception. I think they were using pneumatic tires by the 1920s. I find that an interesting point to ponder. I know sulky racing goes way back. I wonder when they may have adopted pneumatic wheels and tires?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 06:38 pm:

I don't recall the Michelin Radio hour, but they look a little like Spike Jones and the City Slickers to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 07:24 pm:

They all look "Tired" to me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 08:46 pm:

The guy on baritone sax sounds a little "flat" to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 09:41 am:

I'll bet a dollar to a soggy doughnut those suits get HOT after awhile! Probably cotton stuffed..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 11:34 am:

The band master has an over inflated ego!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Wonder if the band carried any "spare" musicians?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 11:51 am:

Michelin as a baby

Michelin air compressor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 11:53 am:

I hope this tread doesn't get punctured with another pun blowout. These stem from patches of cabin fever and symptom-pneumatic of unbalanced T guys.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 05:37 pm:

That Michelin band leader looks a bit like Guy Lombardo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 06:58 pm:

Vern: I don't know about "back in the day" but for more than 50 years pneumatic tires have been used on Mackinac Island.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration