Front and rear spring questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Front and rear spring questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brett Ritter on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 01:16 pm:

My 27 roadster is sagging to the drivers side & I was wondering a few things.

Can I flip them around?
Is there a shim kit to level the car?

Are there aftermarket springs for the 27 roadster? The ones I am seeing have more leaves for the rear and donít list the 26-27 as an application.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 01:55 pm:

Brett, I would first check for broken springs, loose mountings and broken center bolt on the springs. I have a 26 touring that rides a little lower on the driver side, the car has been rolled and I think the frame is sprung a little. It use to be a lot worse but the rear spring center bolt was broken. When I fixed that it took out almost all of the sag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brett Ritter on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 07:10 pm:

Thanks,
Iíll look at that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

Check the pad on top of the spring. While you are at it, perhaps the center bolt came out, or sometimes the front crossmember is bad too. All those things can contribute to your problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 04:46 am:

make sure a shackle has not corroded internally and is binding in it's travel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brett Ritter on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:02 am:

Thanks guys.
Also, can the springs be flipped around, left to right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:21 am:

Yes. I have not tried it, but if the spring itself has taken a set, some folks have disassembled the spring and flipped every other leaf side to side to even things out. If you decide to try this, be sure to clamp the leaves together securely with C-clamps before you remove or install the center bolt, there can be a lot of energy in those springs!

While you have the springs apart is a good time to blast and paint them, then coat the rubbing surfaces with slip paint or some other lubricant. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brett Ritter on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 11:56 am:

I like that idea! (Flipping every other leaf)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 12:04 pm:

The service manual shows how to shim the spring pad at the rear frame bracket.

Flipping every other leaf doesn't always work because the leaves may not mate very well if they are re-stacked in that manner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brett Ritter on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 05:59 pm:

Erik,
What service manual do you have. Mine doesnt address that.

Can you share the details or a scan?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brett Ritter on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 06:00 pm:

Erik,
What service manual do you have. Mine doesnít address that.

Can you share the details or a scan?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 08:07 pm:

Swapping alternative leaves end to end may work in front springs. However, if the rear spring has taken a set, swapping leaves end for end may not work. There are three bends in each leaf, and having them nestle correctly is frought with difficulty. This is the reason replacing just one leaf with one from another spring is seldom achievable without having that leaf re-set to match the rest. Gaps between leaves create wear spots and effect the overall operation of the spring.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration