1910 Stewart clock repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1910 Stewart clock repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 02:39 pm:

I have finished the repair on the original clock it just needed some oil an it now runs for 8 days. I have some pictures, you can see how simple this clock is and 108 years old and still runs just like the car. In the picture they look to be a different size but they are the same, the hands on the original clock are much finer . The clock serial numbers are 800 numbers apart. Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 02:54 pm:

Fantastic job. It inspires me to tackle my Phinney-Walker.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 03:30 pm:

Richard The rim wind Stewart & Clark clocks are made by Phinney- Walker so should be the same.All I did to the second clock was oil with clock oil all the posts. oiled the drum part of the wind mechanism and wound it up and it ran for a little better than 8 days. The first clock I bought to see how it worked,it was a bit more work. I dabble with cuckoo clocks and these clocks are much simpler. Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 06:36 pm:

I recently picked up a non-running clock with a similar, small 8-day German movement in the free box at an estate sale.

I put the works in home-brew clock cleaning solution (ammonia, Murphy's oil soap and water) followed by a rinse in water and then put it in the oven at set at 170 degrees so it would dry thoroughly.

I lubricated all the pivots with clock oil and now it runs like a champ.

A real clockmaker would have told me to take it apart in order to clean it in solution, but the lazy way above worked for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 01:25 am:

It's interesting to see the inside of one. I have a couple sitting on the shelf. One runs and one doesn't. I've worked on several mantle clocks just never had the nerve to take those apart.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration