Would you use this piston?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Would you use this piston?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 04:17 pm:

This came out of a running 26 engine.

Standard bore judging from the wear low mileage all of the bores look good so this puzzled me.

You can see the crack along the upper portion. Someone went to a lot of trouble to save this piston and I don't know why they would have put that much effort first they brazed the broken piece then they bored bushed the wrist pin hole seems like a lot of work when a new piston would not have cost that much. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 04:20 pm:

Negatory...

Too many good ones out there that you could use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 04:58 pm:

I wouldn't use that one and I would also mic the cylinders for taper and out of round. If not to spec. I would re bore and use oversize pistons. Even if you were to find a good original piston, you should balance it with the other ones to make the engine run smoothly.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 05:17 pm:

Probably a depression or wartime repair and they did not have money or a used piston readily available. Under such conditions? Yes I would run that. With model T cast iron pistons generally still available today? No, even I would not want to run that one. And I like how model Ts run with cast iron pistons.
Thank you for sharing the pictures!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 05:39 pm:

I've never seen one brazed like that. Talk about a poorboy shade tree repair!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 06:08 pm:

You asked if I would use this piston and my answer is yes I would...I would use it as an ashtray, door stop, or paper weight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 06:16 pm:

If it was running why did you take it apart?
I must admit,if i had a good 1 that was not welded,it would be best to go ahead and put it in.Back when that was done,there probably was no extra parts.
Approximately 76,000,000 cast iron pistons were made for the T engine,so there should be a few extra out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 06:22 pm:

Best to just cut the top of that T piston off, paint, and flip it over and make a coin change holder!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 07:14 pm:

Just another example of what's been done to T engines over the years. Evidently it worked for no telling how long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 08:03 pm:

Mack I had to take it apart because of this

When I drained the oil I found a brass screw head and I pulled the hogs head and found 3 missing clamps they were here in the oil pan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 08:04 pm:

I can just see the guy in some cold barn hoping to make it to the store to feed the kids until spring because he wont get mail or phone service until some time in the future. Lots of those pistons around. Id put that one on display next to the tire full of hay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 08:32 pm:

When we ponder how this came to be, let's not assume the owner knew of this repair. A cheap-as-possible fix and quick sale is something that is as old as the automobile itself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 10:19 pm:

Got a box full of good CI pistons
If you need one lets talk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 10:25 pm:

It appears you diverted a real disaster in regards to the mag coil..
Frankly all the hours and machine work in that repair on the piston,I would think if a piston were handy,it would have been cheaper,even back in the day.
Machining it for that bushing and reaming it to fit the wrist pin was not something done on a tree stump with a chain saw file.

(Message edited by tdump on January 26, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 12:20 pm:

Thanks Bob but I have 4 good pistons and will be replacing that one today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 12:31 pm:

Not when a fresh one can be had for about twenty bucks.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration