What type of horn was stock on 1926 Model T Fords

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What type of horn was stock on 1926 Model T Fords
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 05:22 pm:

What type of horn was Ford putting on 1926 touring cars, does any one have a recording of what it sounds like, I understand the OOOGA Horn came in the model A era ?. My T has a Bull horn which I don't think was a stock horn in 26, Mine work well makes a very loud mournful sound. like a Bull that got the family jewels caught in a Barbwire fence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 05:37 pm:

Jim, an improved car, 26-27, with no starter came with the traditional T magneto horn. Improved cars with a starter, came with the traditional battery horn. Both used a different mounting bracket that mounted the horn directly over the water inlet on the left side of the block; the same two bolts that held the water inlet on the block. If the button was pressed intermittently, the horn made a beep-beep sound, but if if held for any length of time, made a sound similar to what you described. There is an aftermarket horn made and marketed as a "Bull horn". It is kind of shaped like a 35-36 Ford horn and should not be confused with a Model T horn just because of the sound it may make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 05:43 pm:

sounds like you have the correct horn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 06:06 pm:

The horn on my '27 Touring sounds like a ruptured duck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BHSjRsA1lU

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 06:27 pm:

Just put your mouse over the circle arrow, click and hear the horn sound. The T horn is the 6v electric vibrator horn, stock on the 1926.

Horn Sounds on this webpage

http://local.aaca.org/junior/ahoooga/horns.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

The Klaxon type (ahooogha!) horns date back to before 1910, both after-market and standard on many cars. But Ford did not supply them until the introduction of the '28 model A (AR). Most model Ts from 1919 till the end of model T production used one of several (minor variations) makes of horns similar to the picture posted by Will B. These are the DC (direct current) electric horns. Many people refer to them as the "sick duck" horns. The "non-electric" option (no starter or generator) model Ts from 1916 through at least 1926 (maybe '27?) used a similar looking horn that only operates on AC (alternating current) provided by the magneto. They sound similar to the "sick duck", except the the frequency of the "honk" varies with engine rpm as the frequency of the alternating current changes with rpm. They can be a simple clicking sound all the way up to a screaming sick duck.
In appearance, the magneto horn has a smaller "tuna can" on the back end of it than the one on the battery (DC) horn.

Many other horns, both after-market and factory offered, were made throughout automotive history with many different looks and sounds. The more typical "honking" sound showed up in the '20s, and was used on many cars in a variety of sizes, looks, and sounds. Some of them even look a lot like a model T horn, but sound totally different. Some are about the size of a model T horn, many are larger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 09:31 pm:

Thanks Guys

For all the helpful information. enjoyed hearing the horn sounds, Mine is shaped like the 35 ford horn with a large diaphragm and a short curved horn coming out of the bottom at 45 degrees, cable operated with a control stalk under the spark advance on the left side of the steering wheel, Mine is so loud it would make a dead man jump, seems to be 12 volt but cant tell no information on the horn, and You can vary the loudness and pitch by the position of the horn leaver, which gives it the painful suffering / ruptured duck sound. I would rather it was activated by a horn button rather than the stalk, but, its not a high priority, like stop lights, turn signals and brakes that stop in a timely manner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 02:44 am:

The original one on my 1926 coupe sounded like a goose until I replaced it with a 6V Klaxon which, though incorrect, is what everyone associates with this era automobile. The Klaxon also elicits a lot more enjoyment and laughter from the bystanders watching me go by, so I don't much care that it is not correct. It makes me smile. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Myers on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 06:59 am:

Does your horn look like this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOUD-115-DECIBELS-LEVER-OPERATED-TYPE-BULL-CATTLE-SOUND -HORN-FOR-CAR-BOAT-TRUCK/202204816488?hash=item2f1458a468:g:SBIAAOSwrnRaa2OH&vxp =mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 08:36 am:

Since we are on this topic ... I just picked up a mint Ames horn in a box of parts this week if anyone is interested. The Ames stamping is very strong and there is no rust or dents. Need to hook it up to a battery for a test. Email me at mosterman@eastman.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 08:39 am:

Hey Ed ... thatís my Youtube video of a Ford battery horn. I also did one of a vintage motor type horn for comparison.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:24 pm:

Thanks Dale.

Yes my horn looks basically like the one in your link except, it is old,black and well used with a old rusty control stalk and a weathered wood handle with a screw type adjustable metal band holding it loosely to the steering wheel need one of those rubber shim units the parts houses sell for mounting turn signals. The Bull horn does make a racket maybe too much, don't want to startle other drivers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:45 pm:

I just viewed the U tube video of a magneto horn being tested on a 1915 T idling, would be interesting to hear it at different engine speeds. I like the sound of the magneto horn.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration