Rear axle problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Rear axle problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 06:19 pm:

Picked up a ruxtell in Montana. Rebuilt the unit and when I bolted the two housings together the face where the spool bolts to the housing thereís a 60 thousands difference between the ford side and the ruxtell side. Never seen that before. Anyone else out there run into this. Donít know the year of either housings. Hate to mill down the Ruk yet. Guess Iíll have to bolt up the tube and check lash. Doesnít look the the ford housing has been killed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 07:04 pm:

Spell checker??? Milled

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 07:35 pm:

I think your idea to mock up the Ruckstell side and check the pinion depth is a good one. If you get a good gear pattern on the mockup, then you can either search for a better Ford side housing or make a 60 thou half moon spacer.

Stan, did you ever run into this issue during your many Ruckstell rebuilds?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

Thanks Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 08:53 pm:

Maybe you brass thrust washer is too thick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 09:00 pm:

If you loosen the bolts holding the two halves together will it pull up to the spool? Seems like it was OK before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 10:38 pm:

There is no brass washer at the spool. I only got the ruxtell. Iíll try another ford case. Think Iíll try setting up the pinion to the ring first and see what the lash is. I donít have another 26-27 long side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 10:40 pm:

Canít put the clamshells together wrong. Thereís a grove inside to line them up and the bolt holes line up perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 06:20 am:

Richard:

Why don't you post a picture of what the situation looks like when you have the 2 halves bolted together. Maybe we can see something - maybe not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:55 am:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:56 am:

Mp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 11:23 am:

Rooster, I have a pair of 26-27 housings. I can send them if you want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 11:31 am:

Do not mill the Ruckstell side. It is worth much more than the Ford side. Please show a picture or tell us where the mismatch is. Is it between the two halves or between the spool and the housing? The cure would be different in each case.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 11:47 am:

Between the spool and the housing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 11:51 am:

Thanks Ed. KGB is on his way over here now with another one now. Fingers crossed. If the lash is correct a piece of 20 gauge sheet metal will make a perfect shim. Itís almost got to be the ford housing I hope. Iíll let you know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 01:36 pm:

Thanks guys. Put another ford axle housing up there and it was flush. Someone had to have milled that one down. All lines up now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 02:17 pm:

Glad it worked out. I wonder if someone in the past milled it (and its mate at the time) to move the pinion closer to the ring gear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 02:36 pm:

Just mark that other housing so folks will know it is off a tad in the future.If it is a good housing other wise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 03:44 pm:

Good. The problem with using the one which didn't fit is with the squareness of the drive shaft with the axle. Properly adjusted radius rods will hold it in position, but you would need exactly the right amount of shim. Good you found one which fits.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 04:38 pm:

Iím going to use the same housing and make a shim. Itís already cleaned and the backing plate for the brakes is freshly rivited on and itís painted. Thanks guys. Someone had to have milled it in the past. Thanks guys. Iíll stamp the housing so someone will know in the future. I think Chaffins thought Iíd lost my mind. Me to.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration