OT - next round of Ford K restoration pics

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - next round of Ford K restoration pics
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 06:41 pm:

Fawcett Restoration is moving right along. I'm impressed with their progress. They are painting and beginning reassembly now. We are waiting for valve springs, rebuilding cam lobes, and straightening the crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 07:36 pm:

Rob, will we see you and the K at Hershey this year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 07:43 pm:

Fantastic. Love that color also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 08:51 pm:

Mark L., Thank you.

Mark S., I hope to be there with the K again. It's been a couple of years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 09:06 pm:

Seems so strange that the aluminium block/base/crankcase is well-held by the almost spindly four mounts.
Was that a casting muck-up in number four? Such great photos and thank you!
I had read that aluminium was a trifle porous at that time and could leak oil thru. Is that bunko?

Hah! I see I'm not the only one to have tooth brushes close at hand... People think I'm nuts for having tooth brushes and a small mirror in my tool box. :-)
The color looks like old TWA red to me. :-) Perfect.
That old cruiser is going to look so grand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 09:25 pm:

Duey,
What you see on number four was a break that was welded "back in the day." Initially I thought the car had twisted, breaking the crankcase in the middle. The motor mounts have ledges, so it is held securely in the frame, and the bolts simply prohibit upward movement.

Peter Fawcett said after looking at the old break, along with damage to the front spring hangar, that it appear the car had a hard front end collision at some point. Fortunately whoever repaired it did a great job, and the car survived all these years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 09:46 pm:

It looks very nice, Rob. I really like the color also.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 09:56 pm:

That is one sweet ride! and very nice work going on with the restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Royster on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 09:56 pm:

This is killer and very informative. Keep em coming!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 10:07 pm:

Wow nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 10:24 pm:

Oof. Thanks Rob. I kinda figured something like that as the repair isn't in line with the rod etc. Very cool.
I have a 28 Twin City engine that tossed a rod at one time and that K engine sure didn't look like that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 02:01 am:

Rob,
beautiful, It make me think about a film about the rebuild of a 1908 Fiat "the beast of Turin". I should like to see and hear your car starting up for the first time.

Good luck
Andre
Belgium
http://theoldmotor.com/?p=133946

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 02:28 am:

Cast aluminum is so common today, that it is often difficult to remember that it really was a new thing in the early days of the automobile. In fact, the Franklin automobile used to be famous for something other than air-cooled automobiles. The parent company of the Franklin automobile was the driving force behind much of the development of processing and casting aluminum. Prior to the late 1800s, it was very difficult to process and purify into a practical metal. At some times in history, it was more valuable than gold, in spite of the fact that in its common form, it is one of the most common elements on Earth behind silicon, hydrogen and oxygen (both mostly found in water), and maybe carbon (a Google search actually says aluminum is third behind only oxygen and silicon). The parent company behind the Franklin automobile was manufacturing many products before they began building automobiles. They saw a bright future in the development of aluminum, and manufactured many of those products using aluminum. At one point, that company was the largest manufacturer in the world using aluminum, and used nearly half of all the processed aluminum in the world. They became the largest producer of automobiles in terms of aluminum usage, building many cars, and using a higher percentage of aluminum per car than all but a very few (like Pierce Arrow who cast entire bodies of aluminum!)
So, in perspective, anything prior to the late 1910s, aluminum alloys and casting processes were not yet perfected. Better manufacturers, paying attention to the details and quality control were doing fairly well. However, some companies, using small foundries and not minding the "p"s and "q"s, often used poor quality castings. Poured too cold, causes certain problems, usually resulting in mostly scrap metal. Poured too hot (or poor mix in the alloy) may get more usable castings? But they likely will be porous and/or brittle. Ford seems to have done very well in those early days, but certain models of Buick or REO are famous for brittle crank cases. The early Buick crowd has recast new crank cases for several models at great expense for that reason.
A long-time good friend of mine has a Simplex automobile. What an incredible car! He got a good buy on it because the aluminum transmission case had broken and been welded several times. The case casting was so porous that it was very difficult to weld, and simply re-broke again and again. Many phone calls, contacts with other collectors, found that many Simplex automobiles of those few years also had brittle transmission cases. So, after buying the car, and fixing the case yet again (only to have it break again), they got serious about fixing it. $7000 was spent, just to have a pattern made to cast an exact copy of the original case. The new casting was made, machined, and fit into the car. By the time the car was back on the road, nearly $25,000 had been spent, just to replace that bad casting. My friend told me he still thinks he made a great buy on the car!

Rob, Such a great car! I love to see the progress, and think the color will be fantastic.
I did have to wonder, though, if your car's collision could have been with a brick wall? Nah, couldn't be. Could it? Besides, I think you said that car may have been yellow? (Referring of course to one of your other recent threads.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 09:53 am:

Rob, did you ever get a new gear made for the rear end, or are you still running the welded up one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:29 am:

Jerry, yes, we're having one made now. The old one held up but the pinion gear wasn't wearing in well. This is the time to do it.

Wayne, you are such a wealth of information. Thank you for sharing and educating us. Hope you have a great weekend.

Andre, thanks. The K roadster reminds me a bit of the original long-nosed racer at the beginning of the old movie, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...

https://youtu.be/oYU7z6z3N14

Keith, Darryl, Mike, Tim and Duey, thank you for the kind comments.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 12:25 pm:

Where does one find the like button?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 05:31 pm:

Peter sent a few pics of the almost finished steering column. This is a uniquely Model K feature, Ford's first reduction gear box at the steering wheel and a copper/brass column built by Holley Brothers:

Before:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas M. Edfors on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 06:05 pm:

After polishing, did you coat the steering column and if so, with what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 06:55 pm:

Looks great!

I know that blue car - 1968 Dodge Dart! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 07:21 pm:

Thomas,
I typically don't use like coating b cause it seems like it always eventually yellows and/or starts to flake off. Just lots of polishing. It seems like it takes most of the driving season to get the brass up to snuff, then it tarnishes through the the winter....

Mark,
That blue looks good on the Dodge, however I think i'll stick with red... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 07:35 pm:

Rob,

This restoration appears to be Concours quality. Is that the case and will we be seeing the K on the green?

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:54 pm:

Willis,
We all have different motives and opinions regarding the use of our Fords. My goal is to have a Model K Ford just as it left the factory, and then show the world what a powerful and sophisticated piece of machinery it is. This is the only green anyone will this Ford on..... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:56 pm:

And they better look quick.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 11:53 pm:

Hehehe!
You already have. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 07:35 am:

Great article and I'm glad to hear that after all this spit and polish the car will still be driven and seen at events.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 11:16 am:

A Model K steering column alone is a work of art. Beautiful in its shape and design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 11:51 am:

Rob - How about showing it on the golf course greens at Hershey this year? I bet people would love to see it. I did that the year I completed the restoration on my Ď23T and it won a first junior. The best part was driving it on the show field.

They only look that good once....if youíre doing it right. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 12:38 pm:

Jerry, I agree. When I see a black and white photo of a possible Model K, I always look for the crank protruding through the radiator, and/or the long tapered steering column with the planetary gearbox below the steering wheel. Dead giveaways' that it is, or isn't a Model K.

Thanks Duey and Denny.

Dan, that would be good. One year, Tim Kelly and I had our Ks at Hershey, but weren't on the list to get on the field. So, we made our own car show, parking across the road from the event. We had a lot people come over and see our cars, and we walked over to the show. It was the Hershey Unofficial Car Show......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 02:27 pm:

It would be great on the Hershey Hangover!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 08:51 pm:

Gil,I hope to make the tour if time allows...

A few more that just came in:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration