Dating a T, (month, day etc).

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Dating a T, (month, day etc).
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 07:36 pm:

So it occurred to me that my T is 100 this year. I thought that I have seen posts in the past about specifics based on the serial number other than the year, is this correct and if so where can I look at that information?

thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 08:07 pm:

If it's a US production T you can plan a birthday party with this:
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/sernos.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 08:36 pm:

I dated a T once but her Father did not care for me much because I drive an F350 - he thought I was too modern for his 20 HP Little Girl

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

Date it for a month, a day, it doesn't matter. Before long, you'll be moving in together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 08:58 pm:

Look in Bruce McCalleys book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 09:21 pm:

Larry (Original Smith) nailed it. :-) We can find the book or also get the CD set. I don't have the info at hand right now.
Mark, your profile image is just fantastic!
The body date (maybe) on my Milwaukee Runabout/Roadster is 7-17 so I'm able to celebrate for TWO years!
It's a 17!
It's an 18!
I've long forgotten if you have the date from the riser in your car. :-)
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 10:07 pm:

The page in Tim's link will give you the month. The encyclopedia will give you the day.

More info: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

More about dating: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG90.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 09:15 am:

Thanks very much guys for the information. I will go digging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:13 am:

FJ and Marc, funny. I missed that the first time.

Found out it is a February of 18 now for the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanne on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 02:31 pm:

On mine it was tough - the body dates to early August '15, the motor to December, meaning the motor was likely replaced at some time. Awful nice having that body number!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 06:31 pm:

Susanne, Although you are probably correct about your December 1915 motor being a replacement in your August 1915 T. The body numbers were stamped when the body was made by the body company, then the body was shipped to a Ford assembly plant. Ford would stamp the motor numbers at the time of motor assembly from a assigned list of engine numbers, sometimes numbers were assigned ahead of time. It is possible that a body stored at a Ford plant went on a chassis that had a motor number with a much newer motor number. Four months does seem to long a time but it is possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 08:38 pm:

Also, in the earlier to mid-'10s cars, bodies came from outside suppliers in several different forms. Bodies may have been ordered and delivered "finished", completely painted and upholstered, or "in the white" no upholstery and maybe not even painted. For the bodies with date codes (some, sometimes most, but not all 1914 into '18), those date codes still reflect the month and year the body was ordered or actually manufactured, not necessarily when it was finished. Bodies may have been delivered a month after body manufacture. And if it was ordered "in the white", it may have been sent somewhere else to be finished, and that delay could be as much as a couple of months.
This next part is especially difficult to sort out, because not enough full records exist. We can mostly only work from cars "believed" to have BOTH their original body AND engine. Most such cars usually have a body and engine within body two months earlier than the engine, or both about the same month (bodies do seem to predate engines by a bit). However, there are many exceptions. A few cars (BELIEVED to have both original body and engine) have engines that predate the body by a month or two. Total SPECULATION! It has been surmised that these may have been assembled at branch assembly plants, or chassis/engine failed a QC check and required a repair before being put under a body. Under those conditions, a chassis or engine could have been a "first in last out" and sat waiting for its turn for final assembly.
A very few cars have been seen that had chassis/engine as much as six months earlier than the body date code. At least one of those cars is quite original and has original history and paperwork dating back to June 1917 (with a Nov '16 engine if I recall correctly).

Again, USUALLY, the body date code predates the engine by some amount.
Susanne, While a little wider gap than most, your August '15 body with a December '15 engine is well within the realm of probability, and Horseless Carriage Club acceptable (provided the rest of the car is appropriate for the time-frame).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:18 am:

Got it, February 13th, 1918. Thanks everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:21 am:

Oops, wrong fingers, February 18th.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration