Big 3 Swap Meet in San Diego, Feb. 23,24 &25

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Big 3 Swap Meet in San Diego, Feb. 23,24 &25
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 11:19 pm:

Sadly....this will be the last year for the Big 3 Swap Meet to be held at SDCCU Stadium (Formally QUALCOM). San Diego will no longer lease the Stadium parking lot for the Big 3 Swap Meet after 2018. This is sad news as I have been attending the swap meet for over 50 years.

It was once held in several other locations in the San Diego area before moving to the Stadium Parking lot many years ago.
I was told that a suitable replacement location in the San Diego area could not be found that would be large enough for this event.

It is a Sad day for those of us who normally attend this event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 11:33 pm:

Yes Les, it truly is I've has spaces there for many years with Ray Wells and Jack Harrison (RIP). I think the first one I attended was in 1976 at the airport in El Cajon. I had hoped they could find another location but I got the same info you did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 05:13 pm:

This is unfortunate.
I began going to this swap meet 30-40 years ago when it was at a Sear's Shopping Center parking lot in El Cajon. It then moved to the airport in El Cajon which was basically a dirt field and later to the current stadium. This was always one of the most anticipated events of the year and one of the top three swap meets in California. Lots of great cars and parts came through this swap meet over the years.
I would imagine that it will be difficult for the sponsoring clubs to find another large and suitable parking lot-especially in the San Diego area. I hope they can continue this tradition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:01 pm:

The city government is out of their minds...they have an agenda, what it is, who the hell knows. The end of an era. I will bring an extra large bag of money this time around. I have found many a treasure at that swap over the years. 5 ball carb, Frontenac, very rare parts, and uncontrollable explosive diarrhea from the hot dogs. Good times, it will be missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:14 pm:

The stadium is going to be torn down and replaced with condos, SDSU Extension and a much smaller stadium with no parking. Also the three organizing club members are getting a little older and tired of doing the event.
There has been talk of moving to the dirt parking lot of the SD Fairground at Del Mar but no one stood to lead the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 11:54 pm:

Tony, I heard that Del Mar was scraped because the facility is to small and the price is to much.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration