OT - Custom vehicle trailers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Custom vehicle trailers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul G in Central Florida on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 06:07 pm:

Anyone have specific Pro/Cons on enclosed Gooseneck car hauler manufacturers ?
I need a 8’ high (min) clear door/trailer with a 24’ bay - gooseneck only.
I almost ordered a Freedom until I saw the reviews.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 06:28 pm:

I have had two Pace trailers. Both good with good workmanship. They offer bottom of the line trailers and high end trailers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 07:14 pm:

Freedom definitely no - bought one of their trailers - nightmare

Look trailers owns Pace - there are bad reviews for both.

There are good used gooseneck trailers all over the country - trouble is finding an 8 foot rear door - you probably have to wait a couple months to have one built.

An 8 foot rear ramp door usually requires a separate 12VDC electric winch to assist in raising & lowering the door because of the door weight.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 07:45 pm:

I bought two trailers from colonycargo.com with an 8’ high rear door clearance. They are quality trailers. The rear door is very easy to lift by hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 08:05 pm:

Rod,

Yes I recommend them - that is where I buy my car hauler trailers.

I don’t think Arising Industries builds goosenecks - just bumper pull - I might be wrong.

Tim told we Arising Industries would not build me an 8 foot heavy duty ramp door without a ceiling winch.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul G in Central Florida on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 08:13 pm:

Is Colony Cargo a manufacturer or just a dealer ?

How did you configure yours ? Is it a gooseneck ? Axles - trailer Weight ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 09:11 pm:

They are a factory direct dealer. My trailers are standard but they do offer a goose neck. Give them a call. I had many extras added and the cost vs quality cannot be beat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul G in Central Florida on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 09:37 am:

Thx. Sent them a contact email.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Braverman on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:02 am:

I have a custom trailer on order from Diamond Cargo. I'm picking it up in Georgia next month. I had a cheap Haulmark, and it was cheap. I ordered this one with nicer features. I have my fingers crossed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:19 am:

Steve,

Might want to look at this .....

@ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leqHIWCRWZ4

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:32 am:

For anyone considering purchasing a steel framed enclosed car hauler trailer ....

The majority of manufacturers do not use a full perimeter steel frame - they run " Outriggers " from the frame to the side walls of the trailer.

This allows the frame to flex - welds break apart - the roof tears.

Look at the last two minutes of this video:

@ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q77f42_lOU4

Arising Industries builds a full perimeter steel tube frame - the side walls rest on the frame.

I buy my custom built enclosed car hauler trailers from Tim at Colony Cargo LLC in Fitzgerald, GA.

Arising Industries is also located in Fitzgerald.

If you are considering having an enclosed steel frame car hauler trailer built - give me a call and I will share some tips I have learned thru the years.

FreighTer Jim
(260) 804-6695

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul G in Central Florida on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 08:11 pm:

Jim/Rod -
We visited them this week - designed and ordered one for pickup by the end of March.
Pretty solid design and they seemed to be a good bunch to work with.
Will see how it turns out.
Thanks.

(Message edited by Pdgx on February 10, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Graham Haile on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 10:55 pm:

I just ordered from Southern Trailer Depot last week and it is 8.5x18x7 Diamond cargo. Hate to see all this. Here is hopeing for best. Sure will inspect closely when I pick up in couple of weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hammatt on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 11:42 pm:

If I was looking for another trailer, I'd certainly look at TPD Trailers in Stockton, CA
www.tpdtrailers.com I'm fairly certain they have full perimeter frame design, I know they can easily build tall
(extra height) and I especially like their Vortech features. https://tpdtrailers.com/vortech_trailers/
Take a look.
Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 04:28 am:

Hey Paul,

Glad you paid a visit.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 07:03 am:

While on the subject of trailers, does anyone have an opinion on type of trailer axle spring setup? leaf spring vs Torsion, which will ride better/ tow better?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul G in Central Florida on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 07:29 am:

In my opinion - torsion axles are smoother with less bounce than springs, but springs are better for weight capacity. I have torsions on our GN 4 horse trailer and springs on our 20k GN flatbed.
I did have springs ordered for this trailer due to the combined weight of the trailer and load, but they’re supposed to be sized for this 7k axle capacity. Guess I’ll find out soon how it compares with the horse trailer, as they will both be about the same gross weight when loaded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 08:06 am:

I wish someone would invent a ramp door that will also swing to the side to use a forklift?Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alby Anderson on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 09:50 am:

I have owned two Diamond Cargo trailers. I haven't had problems with either one. They may not be the most elegant trailers but they get the job done at a reasonable price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul G in Central Florida on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 09:59 am:

Build it with a swing door(s) and use aluminum ramps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 10:54 am:

Arising Industries will do a barn door instead of a ramp door on their 8.5 enclosed car hauler trailers - that is what I prefer.

In the real world - I load and unload on uneven surfaces - like in downtown Los Angeles last week ....

I also transfer vehicles from roll back tow trucks ....

And loads that require a fork lift ......

I have always bought my commercial aluminum flat plate end ramps from Discount Ramps in Wisconsin - they are the industry leader in commercial aluminum ramps .....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 11:00 am:

Leaf springs can be relatively easy to replace by the side of the road - I have done it in 0 degree weather.

Just get them hung separately without equalizers in a “ spread axle “ configuration when having a new trailer built.

Torsion axle are not repairable - they must be replaced when they fail.

FJ

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration