Split rim issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Split rim issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 07:21 pm:

I replaced the tube in my tire today. No problem getting the rim separated and the old tube out or the new one in. I just can't get it spread back for enough to latch back. I am using turnbuckles for this. Is there a secret to making this happen? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 07:35 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/302670.html?1343589513

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 07:36 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/618841.html?1456507480

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 09:49 pm:

I have a heavy duty model made in Canada and the smaller model. There are several models as well as methods to relocate the rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 12:52 am:

Here is a very helpful thread from 2012 showing how to spread your split rim, inexpensively, with various homemade spreaders:

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/285189.html

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 09:21 am:

The simplest and in my view, safest (wrt rim damage) is to use the model t jack between the lugs on either side of the split and gently expand the rim til it seats. My pop taught me that technique and it really works well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 09:37 am:

The simplest and in my view, safest (wrt rim damage) is to use the model t jack between the lugs on either side of the split and gently expand the rim til it seats. My pop taught me that technique and it really works well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 09:14 pm:

OK, I have created a mess I think. I built one of the half moon 2x4 aids and still can't get them to separate enough or quite line up. Could it be because the tire is so old?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 02:29 am:

Maybe your tire isn't inside the rim far enough, you may need to use some clamps to squeeze it together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 05:55 am:

Terry, heating the tire up as much as you can makes the job much easier.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration