Cotter pins or safety wire ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Cotter pins or safety wire ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 07:51 pm:

I'm wondering about the original method of safetying the nuts on the driveshaft pinion housing. These nuts are on studs.

I understand the reason for using safety wire on studs (just like on the attachment of the front wishbone to the engine pan). So safety wire makes the most sense.

But I'm not asking "what makes sense ?" or "what did you do ?". I'm asking "what Ford do ?".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 08:00 pm:

Same way I do similar bolts on Model A, wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 08:35 pm:

A picture on page 579 of the book "Model T Ford, the Car That Changed the World" shows wire being used in that location. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

They need to be wired, not cotter pinned, since they're studs. I don't know what Ford did, but I wire them in pairs. It's easy that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 09:51 pm:

If you understand the need to use safety wire on studs, then why did you post is message?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:09 pm:

Larry,

I asked the question because I wanted to know how Ford did it. Originality, ya know ?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration