Speedster project update, making a Taylor Loudspeaker muffler..

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Speedster project update, making a Taylor Loudspeaker muffler..
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:43 pm:

Its time for the speedster project to get her muffler. I wanted to use a Taylor loudspeaker muffler from back in the day. But they no longer exist ... :-( But Seth in Alabama had the remains of an original on his Speedster that his grandfather built. So thanks to Seth sending me a very nice detailed drawing taken from the remains of his original, and several period ads, I could build one.

The first thing was to go to the parts warehouse and get the needed parts

An old basketball goal should do the trick

a picture essay of the build ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard H.Miller on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:59 pm:

Wow! Very impressive...it's amazing what some people can do! Thanks for posting pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 11:01 pm:

Before someone says that the flex pipe is not "period correct" here is an ad from a 1925 "Ford Owner" magazine. Maytag washing machines also used the flex pipe.

Maytag muffler and flex pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 11:41 pm:

Great stuff, thanks Donnie! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 12:41 am:

When do you start production? Very nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 12:51 am:

Nice job fabricating your Taylor 2 in one Loudspeaker! Looks like a type of expansion chamber muffler. Will be real interesting to hear how it performs and sounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 01:36 am:

Beautiful work Donnie!!! If any one wants to make one of those, I have a pair of spark/throttle rods that have already been cut off that would be great for those levers. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 01:39 am:

Nice work! I love watching projects progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:14 am:

Sweet !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy Mathis, Van Buren, AR on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:15 am:

Donnie, you never cease to amaze me. Your talent and abilities are great to see. I look forward to your updates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:29 am:

Excellent article Donnie! I envy your talent my friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:36 am:

Mark, this is my production total of "one" They are way too time consuming for me to make any more .:-) Seth made one for his speedster. He said that with it closed it was about like a stock muffler. Open is "loud". He also said that he tested it while driving, and said that when open the car would gain about 3 miles per hour difference from driving with it closed. (I think it was 3 miles per hour) Maybe Seth will chime in with his test results. Mine is made exactly like Seth's original. I did add the dual exhaust second port to the bottom and I added the brake rod clevis/pin for the cable to hook to. If a person was only using a single stock exhaust, then the modifications would not be needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:52 am:

Very impressive work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 11:09 am:

Fine work and great pictures.
Atta Boy!
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 11:19 am:

I really like what you did. A option to consider for the next one is that Speedway sells nice tapered header collectors, which could be used for the conical part!!
Iím not trying to take anything away from what you did, it is fantastic!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 11:42 am:

Nice work, Donnie! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Les, I thought about using the Speedway cones. They would work perfectly. (and save a lot of work) I used them on my 29 Model A hot rod when I built it a set of "Lakes style headers" Seth's original had a welded seam along the bottom of the cone, So I made my own cone where I could duplicate the weld seam. I know that's "kinda anal" but that's how I am sometimes ... :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 12:37 pm:

Donnie

Splendid work and detail for that exact replica! That is really nice and looks so right on your speedster!

I made a semi-replica of the Wheeler cut-out muffler for my project. Cut down length of the large tube as the original had. Used cast end early muffler parts, and large tube runs straight through. The flapper closes off the large tube and exhaust swirls around inside the tubes and exits like standard Ford when closed.

Large tube funnels with a reducer into stock T tail pipe cut shorter.

I like the sliding cable control wire you used, and will copy your work. Was going to use a cable only with pulley, but a control wire will be stronger and work better I think! Thanks for those great photos!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

Correction notice ..... I noticed that I stated that the down pipe was 1-1/4 inches in the photo of the baffle's for the down pipe shown above. The down pipe is actually 1-3/4 inches in diameter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 02:09 pm:

While we are showing off our mufflers, here is my version of the Wheeler. I used a 3" tube and built the ends from 1/4" plate. Grooves were cut for middle and outer sleeves. It does make the T sound much tougher than it really is. I have enjoyed this one for 40 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

WOW!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 08:02 pm:

Dan and Richard. "Nice" I like the special mufflers on speedsters. The Wheeler muffler/cutout is a neat design. I had looked at the ads of the Wheeler mufflers and probably would have made one of them, till I saw Seth's muffler. Then with the ads having sayings like "he-man roar" and "deep throated thunder, like the sound of a twelve cylinder racer" how could I ever live without the "sound of a twelve cylinder racer" :-). Dan I had a "Globe dash control" for throttle or cutouts, so I opted to use it. It allows for opening the cutout to any position and then a 1/4 turn of the handle, will hold that position. By removing the dash bracket like the instructions said to do for "in dash" use I could mount it in the floor like the Taylor ad says their control worked. You can find locking cable controls all over e-bay. They have different "travel" lengths, so pay attention to the length of travel you need. They seem to be popular for controlling things on fire trucks. A little searching can find some reasonable priced locking cable controls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 08:21 pm:

Very nice, Donnie! I, too, would like to hear what it sounds like.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 09:04 pm:

Nice work and enough pictures to tempt others into building one. I like the preemptive flexible pipe post!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 12:55 am:

Fantastic. I know hours of work when into it, but I noticed the "business" end of both pipes seems to be pointed directly at rear axle (unless the photo is deceiving). Would this burn the paint off your rear axle housing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 01:03 am:

Donnie, great work. It's amazing what a hillbilly can do with a few things many would have thrown away. Wish i could put a "thumbs up" on this.

Do you have one for a six cylinder 400 cubic inch engine?

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 11:28 am:

Donnie,

You are an artist!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Can't wait for the Youtube videos of first fire-up and drive! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 11:52 am:

I'm going to hate it when this project is done... Very much enjoy your updates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 01:55 pm:

Donnie, what beautiful workmanship and wonderfully documented! That's going to be a fun addition to your speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 09:01 pm:

Terry, The outlets are a little further away than the pics show. Probably will be about the same as a stock muffler. I have an original period correct exhaust deflector for the muffler downpipe. So there will be no issue from it. But if the 4 inch valve area gives any problem I have planned on wrapping the rear axle housing with exhaust/header fiberglass wrapping tape. I can get it in black so it should blend in. They had exhaust wrapping back in the day. It was asbestos back then. I have some original "period correct" asbestos wrap but I think I need to use the new fiberglass stuff. By wrapping the rear axle housing, it will just look like another "custom feature" to a "owner built" speedster that has the "sound of a twelve cylinder racer" :-) :-) Thanks for the compliments, but be careful with them, My wife says my "head is too big already" :-) have fun and be safe ...

My original exhaust deflector

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 11:06 am:

nice work!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Carpenter on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

Nice work, Donnie...very professional looking. I'm looking forward to following your project!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 08:48 am:

Donnie, you are a talented man, now you need something to breath some fire into it! Thanks for the detailed coverage of the project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 09:05 am:

Nice fabrication tutorial, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, July 02, 2018 - 03:18 am:

Donnie that looks great. Haha I'll need you to make the next one for me cause it looks better than mine!

I do REALLY like how mine sounds. With the dual exhaust and the Rajo overhead, mine is a little louder than a stock T, but man open up the big pipe and it's awesome. I wish I could do it justice with a video but you can't really appreciate the deep throaty roar.

Now that I finally finished my mechanical engineering degree I can actually get back to reading and posting on the forum!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration