OT - Self-driving Tesla slams into stopped fire truck

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Self-driving Tesla slams into stopped fire truck
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 11:35 pm:

Auto-pilot technology still has a ways to go.....

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-autopilot-why-crash-radar/

And probably worse when behind our T's!

Take Care; Behave; Stay Warm (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 09:06 am:

Darwin award winners rejoice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 09:37 am:

The Billboard Lawyers are going to love those things! $$$$$$

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:00 am:

I think taxis are the best hands free driving experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:15 am:

Every Self Driving car should come with one of these on the dash right from the factory. :-)

I don't care if it
Rains or freezes
As long as I've got my
Plastic Jesus
Ridin' on the dashboard
Of my car
Through my trials
And tribulations
And my travels
Through the nation
With my plastic Jesus
I'll go far
Ridin' down the thoroughfare
With a nose up in the air
A wreck may be ahead
But he don't mind
Trouble comin'
He don't see
He just keeps his eye on me
And any other thing that lies behind
With my plastic Jesus
Goodbye and I'll go far
I said with my plastic Jesus
Sitting on the dashboard of my car
When I'm in a traffic jam
He don't care if I say damn
I can let all my curses roll
'Cause Jesus' plastic doesn't hear
'Cause he has a plastic ear
The man who invented plastic
Saved my soul
With my plastic Jesus
Goodbye and I'll go far
I said with my plastic Jesus
Sitting on…

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:21 am:

As technology advances I'm sure this issue will be rectified. I'm a firm believer that within my life time there will be fully autonomous vehicles. We have gone from horse and buggy to store bought cars that can reach speeds close to 200MPH and rockets that can now land and be reused in less than 100 years. The media will always print the bad but almost never print the success story's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 11:13 am:

I'm still hoping to make my T self driving so I don't have to go on tours with it. ?o/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 11:14 am:

These "semi-autonomous" cars are a waste of time, IMO.

I'll wait for somebody else to have all the accidents and the technology to be perfected to the point where you can sit in the car and browse the web while your car takes you to your desination. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 11:20 am:

I think their going to be a total marvel as far as accidents and traffic go. Once they get where they need to be. Their not there yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 11:50 am:

What I feel like is really sad is the driver is not responsible by the courts,insurance companys or even the media.He made a choice to buy and operate a car,either by driving it himself or pushing auto pilot. His decision could have killed emergency personal.
I am just glad no one was connecting up hose or something from the fire truck to put out a fire.
I can just visualize now me on the side of the hwy putting up a road sign and a dam- Tesla come along and hit me at 50 mph and keep on trucking.
I would not be moving fast enough for it to detect.

On a side note to this type thing I had a professor in college that told us that we needed to be careful not to allow technology to take over our lives.Back in 1990 it was thought conceivable but for lack of a better word,immoral ,to allow tech to take over our lives and we sit back and vegetate. This is a case of technology should be used in passive systems,such as vocal warnings. A computer,taking control of a object hauling humans at 60mph in close quarters is a dangerous idea.A airplane at 15,000 feet is not likely to hit a fire truck and there is a few moments of time for a human to see,react and prevent a accident if the computer belches and quits..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 12:13 pm:

The only way I see autonomous cars working in a safe environment is the requirement that ALL vehicles on the road be autonomous, tightly controlling the roadway from unexpected events.

Would be kind of nice to get in a vehicle and say "take me to the nearest bar” and “take me back Home” without fear of DUI. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 12:24 pm:

If people don't want to drive then why don't they take the train, a bus, taxi, or hire someone to drive them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 12:24 pm:

Hey I had a friend got a DUI on a horse...and that is about as autonomous as it gets!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 12:56 pm:

Proving again the danger of "That loose nut BEHIND the steering wheel...."

Be Safe, ya'll (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration