What is this switch?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What is this switch?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:15 am:

Dear friends,

Any idea what is this switch and where is it supposed to be installed? what is its function.

It comes with 2 wires from the Engine compartment

Also noticed 2 holes on the wooden floors of my T, is this switch supposed to be here?

Any pictures would be of great help.

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Appears to be the remnants of the early magneto horn button that would have been on top of the steering column - maybe ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 12:58 pm:

Any picture from the other side?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 02:21 pm:

Is this it?

Howard Dennis

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/450483.html?1402438015

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 06:07 pm:

Sid, if your car is of Canadian origin, there are two places that horn button was installed. You are missing the metal housing that contains the part you have.
On 1915 and later cars with magneto horns, the switch was mounted on top of the steering column just under the lever quadrant. two metal thread screws held it in place.
When the battery horn was introduced, the same switch was used but it was re-located to the steering wheel nut. A round nut with just two flats secured the steering wheel. On each of the flats was a threaded hole to take short screws to hold the switch housing in place. The same housing was used as before but the lugs were not bent sideways as before. A long loop in the wires accommodated the steering effort without adding tension to the wire. It looks a bit untidy, but it worked.
I can supply the metal housing if you need one, and the steering wheel nut.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 07:53 pm:

Hi Howard,

yes it is exactly the same switch missing the plate which you have in the picture. Unsure on where to install it as it is dangling on the Floor boards for now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 07:56 pm:

Hi Allan,

Mine is US origin T and is a 1915 Runabout model. I do have the switch what you mention just under the lever quadrant. But unsure on where this switch fits. Do you have a picture of the metal housing and the steering wheel nut and where exactly is it fitted? Would love to lay my hands it if if the right one.

Cheers from India.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 02:41 pm:

That's the thing you hold up to you mouth when you get into trouble with your Model T, such as when it won't start, or you can't shut it off, or the steering wheel just came off in your hands. You hold that thing up to your mouth and say, "May day, May day..."

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration