TT Auxiliary Gearbox identification please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: TT Auxiliary Gearbox identification please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:26 am:

Can anyone tell me the make and type of this gearbox please? It's in a TT in the excellent Jedimar Museum in Santiago, Chile.
It resembles the Fuller and Moss gearboxes sold in the UK, but isn't exactly either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

Looks like perhaps a Universal ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 03:25 pm:

At first sight it looks quite possible, but I found another picture of the Universal here:
http://www.modeltcentral.com/model-t-ford-accessories.html
and that looks different. Similar, but different. Maybe an earlier or later version from the same company perhaps.
But thanks for the suggestion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 03:27 pm:

Here:

No through-bolts joining front and rear, and a different, rather vulnerable drain plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 06:18 pm:

Chris

This is it, the Moore, has all the same features.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 06:23 pm:

Another adv. this one is earlier, and shows complete unit, not a cut-away.

FordOwner April, 1918

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 06:32 pm:

Looks a lot like a Rocky Mt. Three Speed too. Dallas has my old unit, what do you think Dallas? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 06:52 pm:

The bottom is different than Rocky Mt. Rocky looks longer also. Its in rear building or I would post a photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 04:26 am:

Dan,
I think you have it. Moore it is.

Thank you.

I have now found other links which tell me that it gives 1:1 or .51:1 as an underdrive (as in this case). But it could be supplied as an OD, in which case the ratio was 1.667, so the OD version must have different gears.

See here:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/139700.html

Here is the rest of the TT:

Note the steering centering device. A rod from the wishbone ball joint to the centre of the axle, with coil springs around the track rod.
I like the 'shortened' gear shifter!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration