Fox "fat-man" steering wheel, need help with how to install cover set screws

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Fox "fat-man" steering wheel, need help with how to install cover set screws
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 08:19 pm:

I am installing my Fox "fat-man" steering wheel on the speedster project. It is a really nice item, and works very good. But how do I lock the cover into place on the planetary gear housing. There are two holes in the normal location of the stock set screw. One on each side. But they are a lot bigger holes. You can see all the way thru from top to bottom beside the gear case threads. The holes also seem to have a "square" side to the hole that may be stock to the fox assembly. The other problem is that the screw or lock or whatever fits into the hole must sit flush or just below the surface because the steering wheel casting turns and "runs" on that surface. Nothing can stick above the flat surface. It looks like it may have been some kind of a long "key type" of item that sticks in from the top and is somehow held in place from below ??????? But I am just guessing ... So if anyone has one of these wheels and knows how it locks into place, please let me know .... Thanks ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 08:48 pm:

Only have looked at these adv. of that Fox.

Appears the 'pins' may have square side so that they slide down into the gear case gear tooth.

The underside of the Fox cover should have openings to put a small punch in there to remove those special pins. Replacing the pins would require the cover to align with the case at two of the teeth in the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 08:53 pm:

Maybe Mike Spaziano can help?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/410557.html?1388195981

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:59 pm:

Dan, Thanks for the copies of the ad. That about explains it all. Now I need to machine me a couple keys to fit that square sided hole ... Do you have complete copies of both sides of that ad in higher resolution you could send me. Or what magazine is it from. I would like to add it to my accessory album that Im compiling for the speedster project. Mark. It was daja-vue to see my Fox fat-man wheel from 5 years ago in the link above. :-) :-) Thanks .......

e-mail dobro (at) artelco.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Epper on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 12:46 pm:

Donnie, here are some pictures of one I have. The pins are 7/8" long and are 1/8"x3/16". Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

Duane, Thanks for the photos of the pin. It appears that it is the same size as the pins on my fat-man steering wheel.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration