Key switch contact

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Key switch contact
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 08:04 am:

Turn key to bat and no buzz unless I lightly push the face plate in. So obviously a contact issue. Where would be the place to look and an easy repair procedure. Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 08:34 am:

John,

Take the top of the coil box off and with the switch on, gently push the coils one at a time and see if one of them is not on their contacts good. If so, slide a little shim behind the "loose" one. I would try that first because you can do that quicker than I can type.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 03:08 pm:

Thanks Ken. But once it's started I switch to mag and it runs great. My thought was a worn switch that needs to have a contact cleaned or adjusted to make a better contact. I was just looking for a place to look first and if anyone else had the same issue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 03:19 pm:

Yup, sounds like it could possibly be something with the switch or even a loose connection. Check if possible to see if the wafer contact board is loose, it's held in with pegs or bent metal tabs. It sounds like it could be loose? May have to bend the tabs some more or something if it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

John, Take a look at this recent post.

Here is a picture of my 1916 Coil box switch, with the cover removed.

coli box switch

Make sure the connections are tight and not dirty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

Oops, sorry, I was assuming this was a later style car with the ignition switch not on the coil box. If it is, check the wafer, if not, do as Thomas recommended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

ok... that's helpful.

It looks like perhaps the "clamps" and contact lever have worn over time so that a consistent contact is not made. If I crimp the "clamp" a little so the contact lever is tighter that should solve the issue..if not I'll replace the lever

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration