Children’s Books With Model Ts and Old Cars

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Children’s Books With Model Ts and Old Cars
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 08:04 pm:

Tonight, I was reading Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel to my grandson. One of the pages has the following picture of a car that resembles a Model T Touring or similar car. This book was first published in 1939.

My grandson is a huge Model T fan.

Does anyone know of any other old children’s books that feature pictures of old cars and some resembling Model Ts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 08:23 pm:

I still have very fond memories of Captain Kangaroo reading this story to us on the television....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 09:25 pm:

Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel, along with Katie and the Big Snow are my two favorite and all of my kids have had them read to them multiple times, especially our daughter, Katie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 09:44 pm:

This book is only 40 years old, but my brother received copy for Christmas when he was in elementary school and he read it over and over.

https://www.amazon.com/Tin-Lizzie-Peter-Spier/dp/0385133421/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&q id=1517279712&sr=8-2&keywords=tin+lizzie

It's an excellent book for kids. It's the story of a 1909 touring and the various families that owned it including the last owner who end up restoring it.

It also includes diagrams of the Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 10:05 pm:

Hi Erik,

I have that book and would often read it to my children when they were quite young. Gotta plant those seed in fertile soil. It really is a great book. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 06:53 am:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/bridgemanimages/childrens-illustrations/ Jonathan Barry / Bridgeman Images ?2004
"The Only Way To Travel" Illustration from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (1859-1932)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 12:21 pm:

My brother and I also enjoyed Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. Here are two of my favorite childhood books are: "Early Automobiles" from the Golden Library of Knowledge, which details the development of the automobile from the first horseless carriages up through the Ford Model T.

The final chapter of the book is: "America's Favorite Automobile".

Which is about the Ford Motor Company and discusses the 999 racer, the original Model A, the Model K, N, and finally the Model T.

The second is a Jolly Book: "When Grandma was a Girl" (from 1953).

It is about a Grandma (who would have been about the age of my Grandma) reminiscing about her childhood with her grandchildren. It has charming illustrations.

My favorite illustration is when the grandson imagines a future with flying cars.

You will recognize the red flying car as the 1951 GM LeSabre XP-8 with wings!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 12:49 pm:

I remember Mike Mulligan well. My parents bought it when my age was still in the single digits...

This is more recent, but certainly appropriate:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 02:32 pm:

Does anyone recall a "Little Golden Book" from probably around 1950, I don't recall the title, but it was about a derelict "Model T" named "Gabriel" who was sad because he was left abandoned to rust - but a little boy and his father "restored" him, and all was well. Come to think of it, maybe this is what started me on the path to perdition ? I was probably four when my folks would read it to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 02:58 pm:

Another two good children's model T and Ford books I picked up at the Greenfield village gift shop last year. "HENRY FORD BIG WHEEL IN THE AUTO INDUSTRY"
by Mike Venezia, Published by Children's press / Scholastic, very good book. $6.95 The other book I picked up is HENRY FORD putting the world on wheels, published by TIME for kids biographies.
www.harpercollinschildrens.com $3.99

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 03:08 pm:

When I was in elementary school in the 60's they would have book sales. Scholastic books was the publisher of these books and were for different grade levels. I bought a book about the life of Henry Ford. I may have been in the third or fourth grade. I would enjoy finding this little book because I remember being inspired by this man who was making history with his automobile. Back then I believed Henry Ford invented the automobile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 03:19 pm:

John, Try searching: Henry Ford Father of the Auto Industry on eBay. Maybe what you are looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 05:55 pm:

Thanks Wayne, keeping my fingers crossed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 07:48 pm:

In the 1920s Ford Motor Co. of Canada commissioned a series of pamphlets and booklets. Some of these were children's books. There were at least three. ( The Ford in Wonderland,The Land of Getwuntoo, and How to Getwuntoo. ) Pictured below is the front & back cover of " The Land of Getwuntoo" and a link to a Canadian Web Site where you can view that booklet.
For those who aren't familiar with these booklets, I hope it is of interest.

Best regards, John Page, Australia.

https://archive.org/details/canadianpamphlets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 08:18 pm:

Brum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Instness on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 12:49 am:

The book "Tin Lizzie" mentioned by Bill and Eric is a great children's book. It was in my elementary school library when I was a kid and I checked it out dozens of times. A few years ago I got a copy off Amazon for my personal library.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 01:15 am:

Here are the covers for the other two booklets. Fords way of introducing children to buying a Ford. ( Ingenious !!! )

The Ford in wonderland is a bit of a take on " Alice in Wonderland "
It was probable the first of the three books.

Best regards, John Page, Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 04:53 am:

Wayne - those two books look so wonderful. I shall now have to acquire a copy of both.

Books are making a comeback. Digital will never replace the tactile qualities of a book, nor the sharing of reading with a youngster.

John Page...
if you sell me something on Trade Me, you are dealing with someone from the Land of Getwuntoo. I just love Getwuntoo, just like I loved Peter Rabbit. Maybe I never grew up!

getwuntoo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 09:32 am:

Rich Bingham,

The book was "The Little Car That Wanted A Garage." I had it as a kid and about wore it out - am wondering if the remnants are stowed in some storage box somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 09:35 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 09:38 am:

Coming from a Model A family, here's another one that I had as a kid. Still have it - sits, dogeared to hell, on the shelf in my den next to "Tin Lizzie" by Peter Spier.

(Message edited by Conversiont on January 31, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 10:04 am:

Strange if only to me that while many offer looks at what are little more than comic or coloring books no one has mentioned the real Tin Lizzie by Stern? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 10:47 am:

Children's books Bud....read the thread title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 10:55 am:

Nothing wrong with what Bud posted, as far as I'm concerned.

I was given a copy of "Tin Lizzie" by Stern when I was in third grade. My mother picked it up at an estate sale. I still have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 12:58 pm:

'Tis a 1938-9 Ford, other old cars have personalities.
Rattle Bang

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration