Another scam alert

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Another scam alert
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 05:25 pm:

This time its a 1918 touring for $8000. Sellers name is Betty Farren. Same email messages as last years scams. Don't send any money to ebay motors if you get that far with this seller or you will be out the money.

Here is the craigslist add,

https://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/cto/d/1918-ford-model/6477498834.html

E-mail I got from seller-

Betty Farren <betty@xfinitymail.org>

Attachments1:42 PM (3 hours ago)

to me

Hi,

I'm selling it at this price of $8,000 because my husband died 3 months ago and it brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it asap. No damage or hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained. I have a clear title, without liens or loans on it. Me and my son decided to sell the house and we moved to my parents house in Marion, IL trying to start a new life.

I want to use eBay Motors services (5 days of testing prior purchase) for the safety of both of us so if youíre interested in purchasing, please provide me your full name for the bill of sale, delivery address and a phone number so I can notify eBay that you're selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure. I look forward to hear from you. Thanks!

P.S. I have attached the pics to the email, the specs are below:

Transmission : Manual 3 Speed Planetary
Engine : 4 Cylinder
Exterior Color : Black
Interior Color : Black
Fuel Type : Gasoline
Title : Clear

Mechanically, the car is in wonderful condition as it runs and drives very well. This car is ready to drive around town, enjoy with the family or take to car shows immediately. The paint was done very well, even the undercarriage is very clean, no rust at all, super clean engine compartment, always garaged and never seen any rain.

14 Attachments

-----------------------------------------------------

The pictures show a real nice 18 touring for $8000 and someone that didn't know what it should sell for might think this is a fair deal. The price could reflect wrong engine or some other wrong part on a car like this so I can see someone falling for it. Pictures don't always show true condition so who knows if its too good to be true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 06:57 pm:

Same B.S. line as I got on a like new, low mileage Buick Enclave advertised at a stupid cheap price on Craigslist Los Angeles.

Husband died, bad memories, moved back home, blah, blah, blah. Couldn't see the car because she took it with her.

Then came the horse fertilizer from eBay Motors about shipping, money back guarantee, free return shipping.

Turned it all over to Craigslist and eBay. Both entities were very appreciative of me reporting these shenanigans to them. There was nothing to report to the local authorities due to the fact that I hadn't lost any money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 08:57 pm:

Let Craigs know.

For flag help, please provide ALL of the following:
title of ad
body (ad text)
info from other fields (make, model, housing type etc.)
categor(ies) posted to
cit(ies) posted to
posting frequency
listed price
links? images? HTML? hit/view counters? tags/keywords?
and indicate whether you:
are local to the area(s) you're posting to
received an email notice that your ad was flagged off
are a dealer/agent/broker/intermediary
have read the craigslist Terms of Use
When you have ALL of the info above collected in the format shown, please click "compose new thread," complete your post, then click "check for replies" to see if other users have responded to you.

Click on replies to read. Reply (if desired) by clicking "reply to this post." Please stay in your original thread.

Other useful resources:

flags, flagging, and community moderation
top reasons postings are removed
examples of prohibited items/content
craigslist general FAQ
.d8888b. 888

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 11:05 pm:

I'd sure never marry that dame. Her husbands don't last long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 07:45 am:

I don't know, guys. that's a pretty good price for a T with the rare 3 speed planetary transmission.:-)

Must be like the car my friend's uncle's next door neighbor's cousin bought new from a dealer back in the 60's. It had a rare experimental carburetor on it that got 200 miles to the gallon. Turns out, it was never intended to be on the market and someone goofed and let it get out to a dealer. They tried to get it back by offering him any new car he wanted, but he wouldn't trade. Then, one night, it turned up missing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 08:44 am:

If you use search tempest to search more of craigslist at a time, you will notice 3 or 4 model Ts that are fore sale in multiple states/areas.

All scams I would guess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 09:28 am:

Has anyone tried to purchase her house? That might be an even better deal! jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 09:50 am:

All my Tís have a 3 speed planetary transmission... Reverse, Low, High...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 12:34 pm:

Maybe she's from China? If so, be sure that you don't keep bumping this thread to the top because it will cause others to become nasty and righteous...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 11:10 pm:

BTT :-)

Smart @$$ in every crowd!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 11:16 pm:

Tim, Is she the one selling the car? Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 06:22 am:

If anyone's interested, I have several brand new Harley Davidson flathead motorcycles still in their U.S. Army packing crates.......

I think I heard that one back around 1964 or so.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 06:30 am:

20 years or so ago there was a guy in Virginia that had those and he would only sell one or two a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 08:28 am:

I have not yet figured out how to link a craigslist ad to here but there is a 1918 T Touring on the Asheville NC craigslist for $8000.00. I have responded to the ad but have heard nothing back yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:43 pm:

The ad has now disappeared from the Asheville NC craigslist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 10:54 pm:

Tommy, I suspect this is the scam being discussed here. I have seen the same car listed in several widespread cities. I have noticed that the first scam flag on craigs list is ONLY ONE PHOTO AND NO TELEPHONE NUMBER.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 12:09 pm:

Just another scam by the same person.

Pensacola, Fl.

1931 FORD MODEL A PHAETON CONVERTIBLE - $7500 hide this posting
1931 FORD MODEL A
fuel: gas
title status: clean
transmission: manual
Approximately only 1,600 fiberglass-bodied replicas of the 1931 Model A Fords were made by the Glassic Company in West Palm Beach, Florida. They were manufactured between about 1966 and 1981, at first using International Scout four-cylinder engines and chassis, changing in 1972 to the Ford Mustang Powerful 302 cubic inch V-8 engines and specially built frames.
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 6477465712 posted: 4 days ago updated: a day ago email to friend

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration