How do you remove the bottom panel below the trunk lid?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: How do you remove the bottom panel below the trunk lid?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin Zahner on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 10:07 am:

My 26 Coupe has a an issue with the bottom panel below the trunk lid. I would like to remove repaint and add a stiffener for the rear tire mount, but I cannot figure out how to remove it.

There looks to be a seam cover at the joints, is that safe to remove without breaking it?

Also, I have what looks to be the original paint on the car and it has surface rust at the joints between the fenders and the body here and there. What are your opinions on repainting the entire car? Original paint is very thick and has green primer below it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 11:24 am:

Justin:

Look inside the trunk and below the panel out side and under the car. There should be bolts at the ends of that panel that pass thru the "T" ribs along the edge of trunk opening, ribs extend down to the bottom edge of the body, There are two rivets in the rain gutter on each side near the two rubber bumpers for the lid. And possibly there will be rivets inside the trunk that connect the spare tire carrier reinforcement structure to the rear body cross member. the top cross frame and inner spare tire reinforcement are united with the panel and all come out together. There's usually a lot of rust back there, you are lucky if your panel is original and not half rusted away. Good luck on your project, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 03:23 pm:

The bolts are hex head 1/4 x 1 NC, four on each side. I had to spread the left and right sides in order to pull the remnants out. Some spare tire brackets in the center, have a tab that fits into a slot below the rear cross member, which has to be pulled straight out, not up. The two rounded trim pieces may have to be pulled slightly out also. The lower panel is available from Big H in Houston. There are two triangular brackets, one on each side at the top which have a total of four rivets each. At the bottom of the panel there are two vertical tabs on the sub-frame which fit inside the left and right sides.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration