Mounting earlier style post headlamps to 27 frame

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Mounting earlier style post headlamps to 27 frame
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 05:20 pm:

Hi guys,

Building a 1927 speedster, thus, no fenders. I will not be using fender bar mounted headlamps, or even the fender mounted 26 styles. I like the design of the earlier single post mount headlights that mount to the frame of the earlier frames.

Looking at my frame (1927), I see two square holes on the little "flaps" that stick out on the sides of the front of the frame. They point inwards.

I do not see how I would be able to mount these earlier headlamps onto the frame without some sort of adaptor.

Does anyone know of one that may exist? Or have any better ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Scott McNamara on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 07:25 pm:

Think outside the box John. Why not attach your headlights to your radiator shroud? That works for the speedster I am building.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 07:40 pm:

How does the size of a wrist pin compare to the stud that holds a headlight on? Connecting rods might work and would look the part of you didn't want to do much fabricating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 07:51 pm:

Under those flaps, on the sides of the rail, are there two holes?

If so, those are the holes for the earlier black era lamp/fender mounts. The solution then would be to clip (cut) the flap off flush with the frame. I'm not sure if the lamp mount would fit without cutting it, but if it's a speedster, who cares. Heck, even if the holes aren't there trim the ears flush with the frame and add the earlier lamp mount.

My solution was to trade frames with someone who had a '25 frame. The '26 frame I had was far to nice to start hacking on. Plus I had a '25 body I picked up, so it made more sense to swap frames.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 09:33 pm:

Thanks guys.

Brian, just wanted to see what other people do! :-)

I think I will end up making a bracket out of some thinner metal that wraps around those front end flaps and use those two unused (I think they are...) bolt holes or whatever, and mount them on that. I do have a cut up earlier frame with those frame mounts outside so I will check and see how that's all set up.

Chad, Is hate to cut a 27 frame, like you. There's probably plenty, but it's a nice one.

Tim, good idea with connecting rods. Will have to see what I can come up with.

I literally just bought them online, and don't have them yet. So probably next week I can start measuring and see. They were a really good deal, repainted with nice ford lenses, nice rims and really really nice reflectors so I couldn't pass it up. Plus I would think the traditional 27 style ones may be tougher to try and mount than these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 09:35 pm:

Brian, what do you mean attach to the shroud? Like the 26 style fender mounts and bolt to the shroud? These are the single post type headlamps, not the forked and not the headlamp bar or fender mounts. Not sure if you mean something else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Scott McNamara on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 05:47 pm:

John...sent you a pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 09:56 am:

Thanks to some fellow members pointing them out on eBay (Of course they were under some weird name... [The brackets]), I bought two cut off fender supports for the earlier frames.

My 27 frame does in fact have two holes, however, from center to center are about 5 CM apart when the earlier frames were 4 CM... so I will drill out a hole at the correct place.

I will be using those bolt spacers to space the supports past the ears of the frame, as I really hate the idea of cutting it up.

Will update once it's all done so others can see how it's done.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration