Gas cap went bye bye.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Gas cap went bye bye.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 05:33 pm:

I'm new and made a rookie mistake. When I last took off the gas cap (1923 Fordor) it was so tight I had to use pliers. So I put it on snug which evidently wasn't good enough because it is MIA. Is there a way to secure it?

I'm also wondering about venting or do the new ones I just ordered from Langs come that
way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

Any gas cap for a Model T should come with a vent hole. You might want to verify by looking closely. Inside the cap should be a "baffle" that keeps the fuel from splashing out of the vent hole. The hole is quite small - on the order of 1/16".

As for securing the cap, I suggest you go to the hardware or an auto parts store, with cap in hand, and find an O-ring that fits properly. As you hand-tighten onto a rubber ring, rather than a cork gasket, it will act like a lock washer, in that friction will keep the cap from rattling loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 08:41 pm:

I have yet to loose a gas cap that is screwed in loose or tight. If I do loose one it's because I forgot to install it.
I made a chain to keep from loosing mine. All you need is a piece of brass rod about 8 inches long, same amount of brass chain and a 1/8 inch brass cotter pin. Bend a U shaped loop in the middle of the brass rod, slide the chain into the loop and crimp closed so the chain can still move, you could even solder the loop shut. Enlarge the vent hole to allow the cotter pin to pass thru it. Slide the free end of the chain thru the loop in the cotter pin, you will have to spread the legs a little. Close the end up so you can insert thru the hole in the gas cap bottom first, fold the ends over. Turn the rod sideways and insert it and chain in tank, done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 09:13 pm:

If the cap is loose in the tank you can run a little solder on the threads to create some friction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 11:42 pm:

As per Peter, I use the O-ring method. Works great. The cap stays put and rattle free. Dead simple, no muss no fuss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 11:51 pm:

I left the cap lying on top of the tank of my '21 Touring. It slid off to the front and was caught down in front of the tank. If it had fallen to the back it probably would have went to the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 12:44 am:

So funny ... I've been driving model Ts since the 1970s and never knew there should be a gasket on the gas tank cap! I just never filled the tank all the way. I've had one on the radiator cap to prevent it from spitting on me when it boiled a little. Looks like I'm off to get an O-ring this week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 04:12 am:

Lost cap twice because I didn't put it on after a gas stop. Son Bryan made a fix that insures I don't do it again. He drilled a small hole in the cross piece on the cap and inserted a fishing line swivel with some line that we screwed to the wood beside the tank. I can remove the cap easily but it never is free to fall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:53 am:

Not that it would have helped Curtis, but a good practice when filling up, if you have a non secured gas cap, is put the gas cap on the gas pump when filling up, rather than sitting it somewhere on the car. That way, if you DO forget to put it back on, it doesn't fall off in some unknown location going down the road. It will still be at the gas station. Learned that from my cousin who pumped gas after school when we were teenagers. That was the boss's policy where he worked. Customer might be mad when he returns, but at least he gets his gas cap back and the station owner didn't have to buy him a new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 09:09 am:

I always place the cap on the floor mat when Iím filling up the gas tank. The worst thing is that when I lift the cushion to fill the tank the tank is covered with old seat burlap debris. I always wonder if that stuff will clog the vent hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 05:48 pm:

My brother in law, an old country boy, was over for dinner last night. He said,"just stick a corn cob in the tank".

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration