Hand brake lever moves back when shifting to/from 1st.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Hand brake lever moves back when shifting to/from 1st.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 07:16 pm:

Hi, When going to 1st then 2nd while under way the hand brake lever eases back from all the way forward and I have to ease it forward again in order to get maximum power in 2nd. What can I do to make that stop?

Balto my new used dog had a great time taking my son to school this morning. He loves riding in my T.

Model T with Balto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 07:21 pm:

Brake rods too long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 08:07 pm:

Balto is a noble name for a dog ! I reckon Jim solved your problem. How are things going, "Nacho" ? Good to see your post ! ; )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 09:09 pm:

How are the teeth on the quadrant?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 09:14 pm:

The service manual has a procedure for adjusting the length of the brake rods, but I used a different procedure, called out in this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/508383.html?1420743911

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 09:55 pm:

Will try to adjust the length of the break rods. How do I check the teeth on the quadrant? What/where is the quadrant?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 10:19 pm:

Here is more on sharpening the teeth or replacing the quadrant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 09:50 am:

The teeth on the quadrant only hold the lever when it is pulled back. Do not hold when the lever is in high gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 06:36 pm:

I think the quadrant does hold in high if the spring is working correctly. The teeth are not one way but work both ways. There is more tension when pulled back but there should be enough tension when the lever is in high to require the handle to be squeezed in order to avoid the teeth and the ratchet from rubbing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration