Electrical Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Electrical Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn W. Beers / Kunkletown, Pa on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 07:47 pm:

I have my T fired up for the first time. There is new wiring and battery in the car. When the motor is up to speed the car is charging when the car is off there is an Amp draw. If I remove the wire at the cut out on the alternator the draw stops. Does that indicate a stuck cut out and I need a Fun Projects upgrade ?

Thanks
Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 08:10 pm:

Yes. Most likely the cutout points are stuck closed.

The Fun Projects regulator operates in a superior fashion compared to a simple cutout.

Talk to John Regan at Fun Projects before ordering so that he can help you get the proper regulator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 08:20 pm:

John has sold Fun Projects. Birdhaven is now producing those products. Give them a call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 08:23 pm:

Wow, didn't know that! Thanks for the info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 02:18 pm:

Is it an alternator or generator ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 05:58 pm:

There ain't no cut out on an alternator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:36 pm:

Then too, some early alternators had a separate brown wire that provided power to the internal regulator and a larger red wire that sent the power to the battery.

If there was not a separate switch to switch off the power to the regulator, your battery would be dead in about 8 hours.

Not a problem if you used a distributor or TrueFire system, as the magneto was not used at all.

Then you could just turn on the ignition switch and have the brown wire hooked to it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration