Highland Park video: building the oval gas tank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Highland Park video: building the oval gas tank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 09:58 pm:

A close look at Highland Park workers building the oval gas tanks starts at 5:03 of the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7jK_pIfTf0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 12:40 am:

R.V. I had to look TWICE to see it.
Oh! That's a gas tank they're hand forming! Very cool.
Thank you for posting that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 12:53 am:

Hi R.V.,

NICE! Thank you for sharing, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 09:20 am:

Simple,cheap,and fast! Thank's RV!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 10:22 am:

Gotta love that big wedge soldering copper the guy uses on the side seam. Lots of tedious, boring work in an acid and lead infused atmosphere, to produce a beast of a tank good for 100++ years of duty. Thanks for posting this vid. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 10:44 am:

I had the pleasure of buying a nos oval tank at Chickasha several years ago. It's on my car. What amazes me in that film is the plating on the tanks. Rarely do you find a galvanized oval tank. They appear to be zinc plated to me, and it's rare to see one with any kind of plating at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 11:22 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 02:41 pm:

R.V. Thank you for posting the link. I have seen small snippets of that operation before but never the amount of footage that the link shows.

John Stokes recently released book " FORD IN NEW ZEALAND" has a picture depicting part of that operation being carried out by the Colonial Motor Company in Wellington in N.Z.

I agree with Larry regarding the galvanised tanks.
Also you don't see that very distinctive mottled look with galvanising these days .One time it was the norm.

Thanks again it was great to see pretty much the whole process.

Best regards, John Page, Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 03:15 pm:

the recycle part was a little hard to watch!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 04:30 pm:

I'm with Charley. I thought I saw a few seconds of an '11 torpedo in the line. Sure looked like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 05:23 pm:

Now if only some skilled craftsmen would start making NEW Improver Ford Cowl tanks. Model A crowd have the same problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 06:21 pm:

I predict if/when repo cowl tanks are made they will be molded plastic. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanne on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 10:26 pm:

Perish the thought!

Watching that, I found it fascinating how they made sure the tank didn't leak. I also felt really sorry for the guy brazing the bungs onto all that galvanized metal - either he was immune to the fumes, had a really REALLY strong constitution, or went though gallons of milk a day... My experiences working with Galvanized was it was nothing to trifle with!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 10:43 pm:

It was more likely terneplate, a coating that was an alloy of tin and lead, not galvanizing. Still probably not the best stuff to breath, but different products. Unfortunately, it is no longer available today in its original form.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration