Rebuilt engine problems

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Rebuilt engine problems
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan landeen on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 06:13 am:

newly rebuilt engine rings bearings valves lifters milled head new manifolds rebuilt carburator true fire ignition. engine idles. when trying to idle up it stalls tried opening needle valve when idleing but doesn"t help when i pulled the plugs out #1 and #4 cylinders had clean plugs and combustion chambers . #2 and #3 cylinders had soot on the edges of the plugs and in the combustion chambers as if the gas was not completely burning the engine ran with out a misfire help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 06:25 am:

Clean plugs indicate a water leak between those two cylinders.

In the old days they used to spray water in the carb to eliminate carbon in the cylinder chambers.

There is also a good possibility that you have a leak where the intake manifold attaches to those two cylinders and they are only getting air and no fuel to burn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 06:31 am:

True Fire ignition fires two plugs from one coil. Are 1 and 4 on the same coil?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:14 am:

Have you cleaned the gas tank, fuel lines, filter (if any)? Sounds like a no fuel problem to me. For what it is worth...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:15 am:

One, two, four, and three is the firing order of a Model T. One and four are on one coil and two and three and on the second coil which is the issue. I went thru the same problem of a good engine not running right but when ignition system was changed out it ran fine. Four coils and a timer fixed the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:24 am:

Another possible example where an alteration may be the problem...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 10:40 am:

Alan,

Do a compression test. Let us know what you find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan landeen on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 01:29 pm:

I cleaned the tank added new gas and a filter prior to starting the engine the true-fire is firing on all four new plugs I will do a compression test and get back to you Jerry Thanks everyone Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 01:57 pm:

Remove gas filter. The TrueFire needs really good connections.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 01:59 pm:

Also with a small flashlight look into cylinders and see if anything is wet .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 04:18 pm:

Have you checked whether the wires to plugs 1 and 4 have spark? Hold a screwdriver between the base of the plug and hold about 1/8 inch from the conductor. There should be a spark if the ignition system is working. Have you also switched the spark plugs between 1&4 and 2&4? Do 1 and 4 still misfire?

I suspect the problem is in the tru-fire system. Other possible problem would be stuck valves in 1 and 4 or blown gasket in 1 & 4.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 04:31 pm:

As George suggests, loose the filter. The gravity feed isn't sufficient enough to push through it, especially if it starts to get a little "used".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan landeen on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 02:00 pm:

I have have rechecked the ignition and all four plugs are firing fine. the compression on all four cylinders is 55 lbs the next thing i will do is remove the filter thanks for all the suggestions Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 02:23 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 10:12 pm:

Did you check to see if 1 & 4 wires are on the correct plugs? Dave in Bellingham,WA

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration