Your opinion: Standard rear curtain, or roll up?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Your opinion: Standard rear curtain, or roll up?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 01:08 pm:

I'm looking at new tops. If you've had both kinds, do you consider the roll-up rear curtain worth the extra $125 to $135?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 01:19 pm:

You didn't ask, but Classtique is the way to go. The Roll up curtain decreases the 'parachute' effect, and provides better ventilation.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 01:25 pm:

I put one in my '15 in 1985 and thoroughly enjoy it as well as the ones in two other cars. Appearance, ventilation and visibility are the reasons.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 01:27 pm:

A big YES to the roll up rear curtain.
On a only slightly related issue, I REALLY like the “wind wings”
I have on my ‘27 roadster. It makes a big difference in a cross wind situation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 02:03 pm:

And that's all Steve needs is a drag chute. I like the idea of more visibility .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 02:36 pm:

I have one on our '14 Touring and really like it. I keep it rolled up most of the time and only put it down for bad weather or for winter storage.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 02:47 pm:

I would go with roll up and make it as big as possible it comes in really handy on hot humid days that you don't want to be in the sun

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 02:56 pm:

ABSOLUTELY! I have roll-ups on my '12 & '13, and they've never seen daylight! I love the open back end, with the option of course to close it in if necessary. So far it hasn't been. Go for it!
I will probably go "outside the box" come the day I replace the top on my '20 and do the same for it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 02:56 pm:

I forgot to mention to make the back window as big as you can as well, a T with the top up could use less blind spots. Mine doesn't roll up it tucks in over the center top bow and comes back and snaps to itself. (I am assuming that you are asking about the top for your roadster)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 04:03 pm:

I have a roll up on my 14 and I like it. Makes driving the car on a hot day much cooler!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 04:12 pm:

Wish I had one in my '26 Touring car. Less drag, especially on windy days. I know its not "correct", but it would sure be nice to have a little more ventilation on those warm summer days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 05:24 pm:

I'll be considering a new top in the future also and rollup is what I would like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 05:40 pm:

While I rarely have the top up I still have roll up rear windows on all my cars for those days when it is so hot I need some shade. Well worth the extra cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James L. Bodkin - Jim on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

I have the 2 window 'correct' reproduction top for my '23 touring. I have been contemplating altering it into a roll-up, but this would require total removal, which I have done once before, and really don't want to do that again. Steve, I would recommend you opt for the roll-up in a heartbeat for all the reasons already mentioned!

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 06:52 pm:

I've got a roll-up on my 14 and it's great1 With the roll-up up and the windshield open a bit at the top, their is a big difference in ventilation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:29 pm:

The yet to be installed top for our '21 Touring has the solid, or non roll-up, back panel. I am thinking about asking my upholsterer to convert it to roll-up when,or if, he installs the top. I do like the looks of the three panel rear windows though, so I probably will retain them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:34 pm:

Anyone have a top that is removable rather than being permanently tacked along the seat back?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:36 pm:

The only downside to a roll up rear roadster top panel is the exhaust curling up over the turtledeck and affecting the driver/passenger. This doesn’t happen with a touring. That said, I mitigated the problem by adding a downward exhaust deflector to the tail pipe of my ‘14 runabout. Now I always have the panel rolled UP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:38 pm:

I like the roll-up on my '13 roadster. I wonder if there's any difference in the roll-up advantage between a roadster and a touring ? Looks like it's unanimous !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:41 pm:

Rich...I have both and only real difference of course your back and your head are closer to the open area than in the touring, unless you're driving from the back seat!! Ha ha. They're both great, either way. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:41 pm:

Hmm. I posted while George was posting. I haven't noticed any exhaust blow-back, there's a tail pipe on my muffler that points downward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:47 pm:

I don't think a turn down would be an easy addition to our '21 touring. I don't believe it has a tailpipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:53 pm:

Yup, the tail pipe went away before '21. George says you won't get blow-back in a touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / Lakeland Mn. on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 09:07 pm:

Mark Osterman.....PM sent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 11:00 pm:

On some model-year Flivvers, a roll-up rear curtain is incorrect. -Well, I don't worry too much about that kind of thing as I have all kinds of safety mods on my '15 Touring, including an underhand front wishbone. -It happens that my rear curtain is of the original type which doesn't roll up and that may be great as far as the purists are concerned, but it comes with certain disadvantages.

Unlike a modern convertible with glass side windows, the Model T Touring and Roadster tops don't provide any shelter from the cold and do a pretty poor job of keeping the rain out—unless, of course, you have side curtains, but these cut the driver's visibility to the point of being a serious traffic hazard (and somebody ought to manufacture them completely out of isinglas or some other clear plastic). -Of course, when it's raining, you need to fold down the windshield because there are no windshield wipers and so, even more rain comes in. -Goggles would be a must. -

The point I'm making is that the top is mostly shade from the sun and an umbrella in rainy weather. -The price of putting the top up is paid in greatly reduced visibility for the driver and also in that, without a roll-up rear curtain, it behaves like a great, big parachute. -It holds the car back ferociously. -A roll-up rear curtain would help a great deal with both problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 11:07 pm:

I prefer the rollup curtain

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 11:23 pm:

George, in our 14 Touring my wife complains about exhaust smells. I don't notice it but I might try that idea of deflecting the tailpipe down or over to the right. Steve, you don't have a wife so you are good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 01:04 am:

Roll up fore sure. Visibility and flow through air! 1916 Touring,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 02:35 pm:

This is the tail pipe setup on my '13. The pipe hangs about three inches act of the rear spring. I know later style mufflers will exhaust quite a bit forward of this one - would that make the difference in "blow-back" ? Henry must not have thought that would be an issue when the tail pipe was eliminated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 08:33 pm:

I don't know, I've mulled that roll up rear curtain idea over for some time now for my car. Until I found out that a roll up rear curtain (when rolled up) negates the benefits of the top when traveling in cooler weather, although I suppose it's dandy for hot weather. I've got a touring so everybody in the rear seat would be getting wind blown with a roll up rear curtain...it's basically like not having a top at all other than it does shield you from the sun, but then a non-roll up does that too.

Yes, with a standard curtain, your car is sort of inhibited in terms of speed, because of the air collecting in it some, or as George Clipner calls it "a drag chute"...but you can get around that by adding wind wings to deflect that incoming wind away from the rear and not suffer any wind vs top speed effects at all. Which is why I've chosen not to put a "roll up" on my car.

Just my 2¢ worth on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vic Patterson. Grande Cache, Canada. on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 09:58 pm:

Mark, I used the push type snaps, it removes very easily .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration