Help priceing a wooden bed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Help priceing a wooden bed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 06:05 pm:

Hello I am a little green around the gills here(old expression form my Grandfather)to this part of the forum here so please try and bear with me here.I have a wooden pick up bed that a good friend sold me on what I thought was the inexpensive side, itís a solid all in tact early bed for a T pickup. It has whatís seems to me to be a Department Of Transportation on placard of the period when it was in use.The bed also has the original tailgate on it in working order.I am going to be building a 15 American La France T based fire truck in memory of Henry Austin Clark (local car collector)next year when I retire and the hose bed on the vehicles they produced were a little taller and possibly longer than the one I have here.I hope to post some pictures of the bed as soon as I figure that out(reality is not likely). I might be slow responding to some questions/conversation here but I will get back on here as soon a I can . Thanks, Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:10 pm:

he sent me the photos;

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:18 pm:

Thank You very much Mark for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 07:48 pm:

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 11:27 pm:

Neat bed, all of the difficult to find hardware. Somewhat similar to mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 06:32 am:

Thanks Mark very nice looking T you have there,they do look the same what do you know about it? Who made it and about when were they made?
I am looking to get this one to a good home and I would like to find one more appropriate for my upcoming project. Unfortunately I have limited space for storage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 08:02 pm:

Your tailgate mounts are different than mine. Could have come from one of many suppliers. (a few examples).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 08:03 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

I would be interested. A problem with selling something that large that isn't high value is that the shipping is always so high relative to the cost of the item. If seller or buyer have any excuse to be in proximity to the other, and can wait until that happens, it makes things a lot easier. When you know what you want for it, message me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 11:59 pm:

This is my version of the box. I used Birch and Maple and made all of the hardware. Don't remember what it cost, but it wasn't very much. This is a smaller version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Myers on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 07:55 pm:

Since Craig's question has not yet been answered I'll bump this up with photos of a bed I have.

Note that the tailgate latch hardware is inside the bed.
I'd like to know what these are worth since I will probably want to sell this in the spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 03:20 pm:

Hal Schedler - You do nice work and take nice pictures Hal. I'm not able to post pictures (just barely "computer literate") but I'll try to explain something I learned from "experience" that might be of interest to you,....and,....maybe even someone else:

Your photo of the nice PU box you built for your white speedster has a similar "latch" made out of strap iron very much like mine. I found out that over a period of time, people just can't resist trying out the latch to see how, or maybe "how well" it works. Eventually, someone will YANK on the strap iron latch, much more forcefully than necessary, and the latch will bend too much and not go back into position to hold the tailgate shut. The forward end of mine is mounted exactly like yours, with two screws, however, the weak point where an abused latch will bend is right at the rearmost screw where the weak point is because of the drilled hole. That necessitates taking the latch off and bending it back into shape. I made two "modifications" that you might consider:

I made a little short piece out of a couple inches of the same strap iron, used the two holes in the latch for a pattern to locate the two drilled holes in the new little short piece of strap iron, and mounted the short piece right on top of the latch, but with the rearward end of the short piece about an inch rearward of the rearmost screw, which forces the strap to begin bending at a point an inch rear of the weak point where the rear hole and screw are located.

Then, I also made a little "L" shaped hook out of the same strap iron and mounted it near the tailgate so that even some "gorilla" that YANKS on the latch can only yank it up far enough to allow the tailgate to open, but NOT exceeding the "elastic limit" of the long strap iron latch. Works great to prevent people bending the latch too far and "deforming" it. Learned this after having to take one of the latches off "TWICE" to bend it back into shape.

Hope my much too cumbersome explanation makes some sort of sense,......FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Vrana Kewaskum wi on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 04:24 pm:

These are the latches I found in a fence line and used on my T,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

Dale, Neat hardware on the inside.

Craig, if you find a design that you like for the bed, I think carriage shops will have the hardware you need. Whitmer Coach (717-656-3411) is an Amish shop that you could try. They have latches identical to your photo, as well as a spring style similar to one posted above but made of a cast hook and spring hardened strap steel riveted together (at least that is what the picture looks like).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration