Old Photo - Ford service Station

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - Ford service Station
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 10:20 pm:

ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 03:12 pm:

Did original Ford Authorized Service Station signs, come in more than one size? What was, or were, the original dimensions? I have a small reproduction sign, but I may try to duplicate one in an original size, using paint; not porcelain. If successful, it would be a "one off". I don't plan to make them for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long Western Australia on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

That guy looks pleased with himself. Must have just got a free start on the customers T after a tune up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 09:20 pm:

Herb:

Type the text of the sign into a Google Image search. That will lead you to any number of collectors' websites where good pictures of the signs with dimensions are given.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 09:32 pm:

Terry, from this picture I'd say the sign wasn't necessarily a factory issue. It would be interesting to know what Ford made available to dealers and authorized service stations. You can almost gauge the size of the sign, the blocks in the wall are probably 8"x12", the sign seems to be about 22"x54" roughly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 10:32 am:

20-odd years ago there was one of those signs that size for sale in the old White field. A little weathered, but not bad and of course totally original. He wanted $350 for it. Today you could probably put a 1 in front of the 3.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 11:25 am:

The only original that I have ever seen, personally, seemed, as I remember, probably no more than 36 to 40 inches in width. Does this sound right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 11:38 am:

Terry, I'm speculating - in the era, it wasn't uncommon for national brands to send dealers sign layouts to have their signs made locally. If Ford did that, a sign could be most any size. Signs were also "factory made" in bulk and shipped to dealers - it would be interesting to know how Ford handled this. Of course porcelainized signs were a "factory" item, but most are relatively small.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 01:10 pm:

THERE WAS ONE FOR SALE IN INDIANa LAST SUMMER AT THE BIG SWAp MEET. Excellant condition. I remember it was expensive . Perhaps $3000. There was a small one made that has been reproduced. I have an original of that one.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration