OT: Restoration Problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT: Restoration Problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 12:33 pm:

Since it's winter I decided to tackle some indoor restorations. Got this 1950's battery operated bulldozer for Xmas and am trying to replace the tracks. waited a month for slow boat from China and find I can't get exact replacements but these would work IF I can find a suitable method of splicing the rubber tracks. Any ideas or methods or products that have worked for you would be appreciated. I hope to cut the tracks and sew and glue them back together but don't know what to use.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 01:54 pm:

Wow! I had one of those as a kid. If the tracks are rubber, I think The "Right Stuff" would work for splicing and repairing your tracks. The Right Stuff is live rubber, is very flexible and sticks very well to just about anything. A suitable splicing material might be an old bicycle tube, cut into 3/8" to 1/2" wide strips (depending on the distance between the edge of the track and the center track guide) and long enough to span the circumference of the tracks. A strip can be glued with The Right Stuff to the flat surface on each side of inside track guide. Good luck. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 02:39 pm:

Try using superglue. We use it to splice o-ring cord and it works well for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 02:44 pm:

How about trimming a tire patch to fit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 03:48 pm:

Maybe down size this method?
https://www.farmcollector.com/equipment/how-to-lace-a-flat-belt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 06:52 pm:

Thanks Guys, I knew someone here would have answers, they always do. George, that helps a great deal, never would have thought of that pattern but it makes all the sense in the world when you see it pictured. I was worried about the pulley side and this shows how to lessen the disturbance of the splice.

Love the shared ideas, it's why I come here, best site online.

Howard Dennis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration