What's new with you and your T in February?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What's new with you and your T in February?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 03:16 pm:

Or your shop, or your other old cars.

Here's my entry:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 04:22 pm:

Wow! I would love to see a picture of the Brush that that coil box is going on. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 05:21 pm:

Not for me but another one "out the door" - two more to go !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 07:28 pm:

New tires and tubes on the way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 09:49 am:

I am working on a T which has been stored for 26 years. Not my car but one of the club members'. The first thing I did was remove the battery and cables, clean the battery holder and replace the battery and cables. I got the electrical system to work and got the coils to buzz.

I was surprised that there was still gas in the tank but I couldn't drain the sediment bulb which was solid with varnish like substance. The shut off handle was broken off anyway so I replaced the sediment bulb. When I removed the old one, gas ran out. I also replaced the fuel line and cleaned the carburetor. There was still oil in the crankcase which I replaced with new oil.

Most of this work was done in January, but yesterday, I was ready to start up the engine. I removed the radiator cap and the coolant was half way up the top tank! So I decided, that there is no leak in the cooling system! One thing I found was that the end of the throttle rod at the carburetor was not connected. The other end at the steering column was wired on. There were no holes drilled for cotter pins.

This car belongs to a widow and she told me that she and her husband had been on a tour and suddenly the car made a loud noise and they had it towed to where it has been for the last 26 years. She thought she would need a rebuilt engine. I think what she heard was the engine race when the throttle rod came off. Anyway, I am glad that I took the steps to get it started before pulling the engine. I pulled the spark plugs and laid them on the head and turned the crank with the key on and they all sparked. Then I squirted some oil in each cylinder and turned it over a few times. Put in the plugs and got it started. The engine sounds good and has good compression! :-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 08:46 pm:

Rigged up my John Stolz, Model T Ranch distributor

just until I got my coils in perfect working order, then I'll switch them out and see how it goes with them.

I carry it under my rear seat in the touring, for emergencies...it swaps out a timer pretty easily, with just a few simple tools that I carry as well in about 30 minutes or so, then I'm on the road again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 08:52 pm:

Interesting belt tensioner, did it come as part of the distributor kit?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration